Corsair Community

Ram issues

UntameD

Hi Guys, hoping you can lend me a hand with my daft pc, or my mistake i've made at buying two types of different ram lol.

Basically I have two 2Gb kits of ram, 1 Corsair xms2, the other corsair dominator. The xms2 run at 800mhz timing of 4-4-4-12 and the dominator run at 1066 with timings of 5-5-5-15. I have my bios on auto memory timings but have never been able to get both sets working together.

On the other hand i have been able to get 3Gb working, 2 xms2 sticks and 1 dominator but when i try to use all 4 sticks my pc boots and stalls and my monitor stays on standby so i can`t reach the bios. Could this be something to do with windows7 32bit?

I'm stuck with what to do, I've had this problem for 2 years and failed at every attempt to try and sort it, i know one of you is going to say its a bad idea just by so more of the xms2 ram but i'm afraid ill still have the monitor issue.

Any help would be wkd :D

UntameD

Basically I have two 2Gb kits of ram, 1 Corsair xms2, the other corsair dominator. The xms2 run at 800mhz timing of 4-4-4-12 and the dominator run at 1066 with timings of 5-5-5-15. I have my bios on auto memory timings but have never been able to get both sets working togethe
r.

Yeah, bad idea, and there may not be anything you can do to get them all to run together. Thats the chance you take when mixing memory.

n the other hand i have been able to get 3Gb working, 2 xms2 sticks and 1 dominator but when i try to use all 4 sticks my pc boots and stalls and my monitor stays on standby so i can`t reach the bios. Could this be something to do with windows7 32bit?

Nothing to do with windows. It should still boot with all 4 gigs , windows will just only see about 3.25gig of that 4.

Have you tried to up the DIMM voltage and NB voltage any?

I'm stuck with what to do, I've had this problem for 2 years and failed at every attempt to try and sort it, i know one of you is going to say its a bad idea just by so more of the xms2 ram but i'm afraid ill still have the monitor issue.

If you decide to buy more XMS2 memory , you may end up in the same exact situation with mixing memory. Corsair does not suggest or support the mixing/combining of memory , even if it's the same exact part number. It can be hit or miss at best.

Hi Peanutz

Have you tried to up the DIMM voltage and NB voltage any?

I've had a nosy around the bios but i'm not quite sure what to change, i found the DIMM voltage but wouldn't have a clue what to change it to, because one set is 1.9v and the other is 2.1v and i haven't a clue where the north bridge setting is as it isn't clearly labeled. I think i'm just going to buy a new 8Gb ram kit, to get 2 sets of ram working together is just too much bother.

The thing that has baffled me the most is for the last 2/3 years I've had 3GB working, but i messed about the other day trying to get 4GB to work and now with 3GB my pc just blue screens, so i've had to revert back to 2GB just so i can troubleshoot it without much success at the moment.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but we would not suggest mixing memory as it can be hit or miss to get them to work together but I would try and set the memory frequency to DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the timings to Cas 4-4-4-12 and make sure command Rate is set to 2T or 2N and set the Nfroce SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts over default

Hi Ramguy, I have tried what you have recommended up to the part of

Nfroce SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts over default
because i don't understand that bit lol and still got the same results. I went as far as to take the 2Gb dominators back out and it worked fine, but when i loaded Cpu-z on my system there was a big decrease in system performance dropping my chip down to 2Ghz, and the multiplier to X6 and Jumping back to 3Ghz making it unstable. I'm a novice at this sort of stuff so its kinda a big learning curve for me at the moment. I'll be building a new system in 3/4weeks so i don't think ill bother messing about with this one anymore as its going to me mum and she doesn't do half the stuff i do.

Thanks anyway

UntameD

Archived