Corsair Community

Shuttle w/ nForce IGP (SN41G2V2B)

LiteBright

I have a Shuttle w/ nForce IGP (SN41G2V2B) with an AMD 3000+ CPU. nVidia's list of supported RAM for nForce IGP motherboards is limited even though these boards are very popular. This list however, appears to be only what has been formally tested.

I tried another name brand of PC-3200 memory (CAS 3) and was unsuccessful at running the FSB at 166 (the standard for this PC). I've also read about many other Shuttle users' successes & failures with all different brands and types of RAM. No one seems to know what the true determining factor is (timing, quality, etc.) for compatiblity while using the on-board video (IGP).

With everything I have read, my best price/quality option appears to be a pair of 512 MB Corsair Value Select VS1GBKIT333 (PC-2700, CAS 2.5). Can anyone comment?

• Corsair Employee
I would suggest you get the speed grade that you need! However, the Shuttle systems have been hit and miss with over clocking so the choice is yours, you just might have to relax the timings a bit if you get faster memory!

I wasn't as interested in overclocking as I was in just getting things to work with-in specs. I didn't understand what you meant by "getting the speed grade you need", but I would assume you are saying that PC-2700 has a better chance of working for me than PC-3200?

I received the pair of 512 MB Corsair Value Select VS1GBKIT333 (PC-2700, CAS 2.5) and it works very well at FSB of 166. Though I'm not interested in overclocking this system, I briefly tried FSB of 200 without success. I've learned from all of this that for my situation, the "true" CAS capability of a DIMM seems to have more bearing on compatibility than anything else.

I imagine PC-2700 CAS 2 would likely work well for me if I wanted to overclock. With what I have read elsewhere on the Internet, Corsair is highly respected for its true ratings and individuals seem to have more success with it than other brands (which is why I am here and why I bought Corsair). Thanks again for your responses and support.

LiteBright

• Corsair Employee
The IGP chipsets in general seem to not over clock as well as the non IGP chipsets was the first reason I suggested getting the speed you need. In addition, some of these systems seem to run really well and some do not over clock as well, or in other words it seems to be hit and miss with over clocking. The third reason is it really takes a good understanding of the chipset in question if you are going to over clock or maybe not over clock but run with over clock able parts! In other words it's like putting a Ferrari motor in a Volkswagen, it can be done I am sure but it would take some doing!

Archived