Corsair Community

Is an RMA worth it?

Drv30

First, a rant:

Like most of us, I have an H80 that does not control fan speed. I am probably going to RMA it, but I really don't have time for this. I came back home for the holidays so that I could visit my family friends and do some gaming, but I cant game because this cooler does not work appropriately (I couldn't even trans-code a freaking video without my motherboard warning me that my CPU had reached 70 degrees Celsius [i hope i didn't damage it...])... I have about a week before I go back to my college apartment. In other words, I will not be gaming until summer break or next winter...

My question is, has anybody who has RMAed the H80 or H100 received a reliable product? How can I be sure that I will be actually get a working product after this time/money consuming process?

I am already reading threads that the newer HXXi series coolers have issues too... Since not even the "updated" products seem reliable, then what could I expect of this process? Is Corsair just pumping out products and marketing them and not actually fixing their issues?

I also bought an HX850 power supply last week from Newegg (before Christmas), and it was DOA... If it weren't for the Iron Egg Warranty I wouldn't have gotten my money back (I feel lucky) [sending it back was $12.00]. I would take my money back if I could for this H80 cooler, but I doubt it is possible...

On the bright side, I really liked how the products were packaged though, they looked like an elf in the North Pole packaged them with a magic wand or something... But the functionality and performances of the products of this company is abysmal from my experience. And this to me is much more important, especially when my time hard-earned money is going down the drain like that with shipping costs of RMA.

Now the whole point of this:

I read my item is covered by 5 years of warranty, but I don't think I ever registered it or anything. Am I still covered? What am I supposed to do? Can anybody help me?

Now the whole point of this:

I read my item is covered by 5 years of warranty, but I don't think I ever registered it or anything. Am I still covered? What am I supposed to do? Can anybody help me?

Yes, just use the link on the left to request your RMA

I RMA'd an H80 because it wasn't working with the Digital Commander. Otherwise that H80 worked very well. But as you noticed, the only way to control the unit was to open the computer case and push the center button in the pump. That is why I bought the Link Commander, to allow me to control the H80 without opening the case.

I now have the H80i installed. There's a shot below. I really like the H80i. The CorsairLink2 software that automatically works with it, now allows me to control the fans without having to open up the case. It was a lot of trouble going through the whole RMA procedure, but it was definitely worth it in my case. The new H80i cools better (low 60's fahrenheit with low 60's ambient, and is even quieter. Settings are for "balanced" which has the fans running about 1300 rpm.)

There are some caveats with respect to the software. In my case, I have the Sierra2 service set for manual (not automatic start) and only turn it on when I need to adjust something in the dashboard, and then turn it back off again. I also have Sierra2.gpu.exe disabled in the Task Scheduler, since I don't need Corsair watching my GPU fans etc. BUT, your dashboard settings will remain in effect, even if you do turn off these services. My main gripe was that they entailed too much CPU overhead and hdd activity. So it is easily gotten around.

But in sum, I am very happy with the Corsair H80i product.

http://emblemagic.com/apicturehost/collections/m5eb%20001.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, I am using stock fans and I reset the firmware but that did nothing, but I have a new question, If I RMA it, I will get the H80i even though I had the original H80? or will I have to pay the difference in price if I want to upgrade?

• Corsair Employees
Thanks for the replies guys! Yes, I am using stock fans and I reset the firmware but that did nothing, but I have a new question, If I RMA it, I will get the H80i even though I had the original H80? or will I have to pay the difference in price if I want to upgrade?

Submit an RMA and our customer service will let you know what the replacement is.

I have this pumping sound like noise from the cooler... what do i do?

Might be some air pockets trapped inside the unit. I would try laying down the case on its side and see if the noise goes away, if it does then keep it in that position for about an hr and stand it back up and see if the noise goes away. Also, try to gently tapping the pump and see if the noise goes away. It is not uncommon to have some noise if this is a new unit, let it break in for a couple of days and see if the noise goes away. Thanks

Archived