Corsair Community

Looking for advice on a new build

Hi, got some good points from a previous thread, so looking at something like this:-

Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D CC650DW

psu - Corsair HX750

CPU - I7 3770 3.4GHz Quad Core Socket - Intel LGA 1155

GFX - Asus Nvidia GeForce 2GB GTX 680 DirectCU II OC

HD Cooling - Corsair CWCH100 Hydro Series H100

Ram - Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance 32GB 1600MHz CL DDR3 Memory Quad Kit

motherboard - Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 Motherboard (Socket 1155, 32GB DDR3 Support, Intel Z77 Express, ATX, PCI-E 3.0, USB 3.0, )

SSD - Samsung 840 Series Pro 256GB

HDD - Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB ?

optical - Pioneer BDR-207DBK 12x Internal BD-RW Burner - Bare Black

extras - scythe kaze master fan controller

Open to suggestions for the components, looking for a mid to higher end system for both gaming and photography manipulation, ram seems to have dropped in price a lot recently and can see advantages for having 32GB ram

Boot drive will be SSD, currently using samsung, but also looking at corsairs

Case is a compromise of what will fit under the table

the case is supposed to be hot swappable, so I can take a drive out when the system is running ?, might end up having a smaller 1 TB drive and use swappables for the rest.

SSD 128 GB minimum and maybe another SSD for games folder suspect another 128 GB would suffice, but would not need to be the pro version for both

the asus card seems to be the quietest option so far, watercooling for ease of use and not to have a really loud set of system fans, not done any overclocking and so am happy for the intel system to up and down what it needs

the board offers stability and have had an old system killed from a static / electrical issue, current cpu is 750 for a lower spec system and so might need to go for the 850 watt gold

just had the company car die on me, so repairs looking at £600, will get it replaced, but will mess up cash flow...

any suggestions on the ram ?

looked at system builders, but they seem to only use oem cheap stuff that seems to die too quick, corsair seems to be good at a lot of things that matter

thought about it, but never oveclocked before, if I do not want to overclock, I can "lock" it in to default mode I assume ?

not saying you have to oc but having the option to is nice;):

i have a 2600,a good cpu but ill be getting one that i can oc,just because,wish i hada in the first place

thought about it, but never oveclocked before, if I do not want to overclock, I can "lock" it in to default mode I assume ?

If you don't have any experience of overclocking and might want to overclock with the 3770K, most ASUS boards have a TPU switch or OC Tuner function in the BIOS where it'll give a boost to a stable 4.2GHz at the flick of a switch or click of the mouse.

Archived