Corsair Community

msi k8n neo2 and TWINX1024-3200XL PRO problems

dave231

I have just purchased a new system with msi k8n neo2 and corsair TWINX1024-3200XL PRO mem with an amd64 3800+ processor. I have the mem in slots 3 and 4 (dual channel) and the mem timings set to auto in the bios. I have running at stock speeds(no overclocking) and am having big stability problems. In winxp, I get crc errors sometimes when installing software, prime95 fails in under 5 minutes, the Sandra burn in test fails on after 3 passes, crashes from games, and reboots in windows.

I have ran memtest86 for 10 hours with no errors reported.

A couple of questions:

1) what is the proper voltage and timing for the memory with this motherboard?

Currently I have the voltage set to auto which is 2.70 and the timing at 2-2-2-5 with 1t command rate

2) does it matter if the mem is in slots 1&2 or 3&4;

3) any suggestions on what is causing the stability problems?

Thanks

Glad I found this thread. I have just setup a system with a:

msi k8n neo2 platnum:

amd64 3800 cpu

TWINX1024-3200XL PRO

western digital raptor 74

Enermax 465 power supply(have a new PC Power and cooling 510 deluxe on the way)

BFG 6800 gt.

SB Audigy 2 ZX

I have installed the mem and banks 3&4 because the zalman heatsink blocks bank1 from installing this memory.

The system was stable for a day and now I get random crashing all the time.

Prime95 fail in under 2 minutes, Sandra burn in test crashs windows after 3 passing, alot of random reboots, crc error somtimes when I install software, and doom3 crashes all the time.

I have run memtest86 for over 10 hours with no problem.

I have everything set to auto in the cell menu in the bios. so mem is at 2-2-2-5 at 200MHz and 1T timings. All the dynamic overclocking is disabled and the HT is set to 5x and the FSB is set to 200.

Vcore the the cpu is set to auto, though the msi core cell shows sometimes it is set at 1.47.

I have tried the mem voltage at 2.7 and 2.75(this setting is red in the bios), still unstable

When I boot into the windows, the fsb is always set to 201 and the HT is set to 1005, even though the bios is set to 200 fsb and 1000 HT. I use the Nvidia system utility to set back at 200 and 1000.

I am going to try a new power supply tomorrow and see if that improves stablity.

My question is the those who have the msi board stable, seems we have similar systems, and was wondering if my timings are wrong, or what you guys are using to get a stable system.

thanks

I

I have the close to the same system. i have my memory set manually to 2-2-2-10 and left the command rate to AUTO which = 1T, set the voltage to 2.75. I pick up a 201FSB too, but I am running stable. That's where you're getting the HTT 1005 (201 x 5). Something else has to be the matter.

• Corsair Employee

With this MB I would load setup defaults and then set the Rass to Cass to "3" so I would set these timings and then set the Dim Voltage to +2.8 Volts:

CAS Latency CL=2.0

Row Cycle Time tRC Bios Default

Row Refresh Cyc Time tRFC Bios Default

Ras# to CAS# delay tRCD 3

Row to Row delay Bios Default

Min Ras# Active Time tRAS 11

Row Precharge Time tRP 2

Write Recovery Time Bios Default

Write to Read delay Bios Default

Read to Write Delay Bios Default

Refresh Period tREF Bios Default

Enable 2T Timing Disabled

Then test the system with http://www.memtest.org and make sure it's stable! If you have problems, I would set "Enable 2T Timings to AUTO" and test it again!

thank you all for the replies. I have now have a stable system for at least 16 hours. What I did was remove the Zalman heatsink and install the stock amd one that came with the cpu. I then moved the mem from slots 3&4 to slots 1&2. I now can run prime95 for hours without a problem and did not have any crashes playing doom3. I guess slots 3&4 for mem was the culprit.

Thanks Again

Archived