Corsair Community

ASUS P6X58D Premium compatible 3x4GB DDR3-1600 kit?

sanek

Hello everyone,

I currently use the Corsair Dominator 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz PC3-12800 1.65V 8-8-8-24 CM3X2G1600C8D kit in my ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard (x58, triple-channel), however I find myself in need of more RAM. The CPU is i7-960 and all other specs are in my profile.

I was looking at the following kit to replace my current one:

CORSAIR Dominator 12GB (3x4GB) 1600MHz PC3-12800 1.65V 9-9-9-24 CMP12GX3M3A1600C9

It does not seem to appear as compatible in the Memory Finder, while the Vengeance kit (CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 3x4GB 1600MHz 1.5V 9-9-9-24) does.

When I looked around, a lot of people reported problems with their system being able to run the Vengeance kit at the advertised settings in this motherboard and some people were recommending to go with the Dominator memory over the Vengeance kit on these forums (for 24GB kit):

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=107192

Also, I've read that people had some problems with the 1501 BIOS version for this motherboard, while 1301 BIOS worked better. Any info on that?

I basically want 12GB or more memory running at DDR3-1600MHz 9-9-9-24 or similar. I know there are a lot of others around these forums with this motherboard and just looking for some feedback as to what problems I might face and looking for some advice as to the direction to go into.

Please note the following note in my motherboard manual:

"Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMS and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only". As far as I can tell, that just means that they cannot guarantee DDR3-1600 x 6 DIMMs, so I would rather just get a 3x4GB kit and keep my existing kit as backup.

I'm not really that worried about the RAM as far as price goes, so looking for the best option here.

Thank you in advance for any help!

I have the same board with the latest BIOS running the 24gig Dominator kit with no issues. And thats with a 4.5ghz overclock.

I would recommend sticking with the Dominators over the Vengeance series simply because MOST of the Dominators are 1.65v memory which seems to run best with the X58 chipset

I have had more problems with the board itself than I have ever had with memory. Gone through three of them so far...

Due to Intel spec definition, X.M.P. DIMMS and DDR3-1600 are supported for one DIMM per channel only". As far as I can tell, that just means that they cannot guarantee DDR3-1600 x 6 DIMMs, so I would rather just get a 3x4GB kit and keep my existing kit as backup.

Thats correct, but it can be done.

I have the same board with the latest BIOS running the 24gig Dominator kit with no issues. And thats with a 4.5ghz overclock.

I would recommend sticking with the Dominators over the Vengeance series simply because MOST of the Dominators are 1.65v memory which seems to run best with the X58 chipset

I have had more problems with the board itself than I have ever had with memory. Gone through three of them so far...

Thats correct, but it can be done.

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, it looks like that 24GB kit is out of stock pretty much everywhere (Canada) :(

How would the 12GB kit do - is it the same memory?

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54051&vpn=CMP12GX3M3A1600C9&manufacture=Corsair

I assume that the fans are optional since I would rather not use one? Also, anyone here have any success with the 12GB or 24GB Vengeance kits with this motherboard?

Thanks again!

The 12 gig kit would run equally as well as the 24 gig kit. Just don't try and use two of them to make up the 24 gigs. Corsair can not guarantee that any two random kits would work together if at all even though they are the same part number.

Yes, the fans are optional. Unless you are really overclocking them past 1600mhz with more voltage than what they are rated at , they wont produce much heat at all.

You can try the Vengeance series modules but they may have to run at 1.65v instead of the 1.5v they are rated at on this system. I'm pretty sure this would explain the majority of the issues seen with the Vengeance series on this board. I have seen that a few times here on the forums. But there is no reason they shouldn't run equally as well as the Dominators.

Some systems require different settings depending on chipsets.

Archived