Corsair Community

H80 doesn't cool CPU

H80CPUmelter

Hi I have an Intel 2500K (not overclocked) with a H80 cooler on top with the two 120mm fans blowing at full speed.

Checking the CPU temperatures in the BIOS show the CPU starts off at a night 50 (where it normally sits even when gaming) up to 98 degrees under no load. If I start Windows, the load of course increases and eventually the temperature climbs over 100 at which point the computer automatically switches off.

I've had the case open and cleaned it all out, now theres no dust in site. However the overheating issues persist, which leads me to believe that the issue isn't one of air flow, but of coolant pumping.

I can't seem to tell if the pump is doing something or not. The lights on top (the ones you can change the speed of the fans) are illuminated, but I can't figure out if the pump is working.

As an aside, if I give the radiotor a gentle shake I can hear the coolant sloshing around, is that right? I wouldn't think there would be any air gaps inside the radiator?

Anyways, this was working perfectly up until a few days ago, I came from from a Holidays holiday and got presented with this steaming pile o' crap.

Anyone have any ideas how I can tell if the pump is working, if it's not if there any any ideas on how to get it working? And if it is dead, does the corsair warranty cover a cooler bought in August 2011?

What MB and CPU? Could you please fill in your system specs.

I can't seem to tell if the pump is doing something or not. The lights on top (the ones you can change the speed of the fans) are illuminated, but I can't figure out if the pump is working.

In your BIOS under CPU_FAN should be your pumps RPM's. that is if you connected the single 3 pin tach lead to that header. It should read around 220 rpms.

As an aside, if I give the radiotor a gentle shake I can hear the coolant sloshing around, is that right? I wouldn't think there would be any air gaps inside the radiator?

Thats right. There is a small amount of air in the units.

And if it is dead, does the corsair warranty cover a cooler bought in August 2011?

Absolutly. They have a five year warranty.

Archived