Corsair Community

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and 2x CMT32GX3M4X1866C9

jdb2

I'm thinking of building my next system on Intel since AMD isn't releasing a chipset update to the 990fx until Steamroller comes out and even that will be lacking in PCI-E 3.0 . So, I decided on an x79 system, specifically the ASUS Rampage IV Extreme. With this I'll be future-proofed since Ivy-Bridge-E will be socket compatible with socket 2011.

The thing is, the above board doesn't support any 64GB configurations and doesn't support my current memory, for which I paid handsomely, in its QVL list, namely CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 .

The ASUS Sabertooth x79 on the other hand supports my memory and 8 DIMMS of it at that.

According to Corsair's memory selection tool, the Rampage IV Extreme is supposed to support my memory -- I was just wondering if I could buy another kit and fill both 4-DIMM banks with 32GB of CMT32GX3M4X1866C9 for a total of 64GB.

Would there be any potential compatibility problems? Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks,

jdb2

Would there be any potential compatibility problems? Has anyone else tried this?

Absolutly, there is no way to predict how any two random kits will perform together if at all. Despite them having the same part number.Corsair does not suggest or support mixing/combining kits for this very reason.

I'm not saying it cant be done or that it hasn't , just that there is a possibility it wont work together. With two unmatched kits DDR1600 would be suggested and or needed with all the slots on the MB filled. You may even need to go lower than that in some cases. You just wont know until you physically try it.

A matched 64gig kit would be the best way to go.

Absolutly, there is no way to predict how any two random kits will perform together if at all. Despite them having the same part number.Corsair does not suggest or support mixing/combining kits for this very reason.

I'm not saying it cant be done or that it hasn't , just that there is a possibility it wont work together. With two unmatched kits DDR1600 would be suggested and or needed with all the slots on the MB filled. You may even need to go lower than that in some cases. You just wont know until you physically try it.

A matched 64gig kit would be the best way to go.

Unfortunately, Corsair doesn't sell any matched 64GB kits and the only way to achieve 64GB on the x79 platform with ASUS would be to use their Sabertooth X79 as it supports 8 DIMMs -- the Rampage IV Extreme doesn't support *any* Corsair 32GB kits or 8 DIMMs from 2 kits like the Sabertooth does.

jdb2

Sure they do, some of their kits are just not listed here on this site...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611%2050001459%20600078206&IsNodeId=1&name=64GB%20%288%20x%208GB%29

the Rampage IV Extreme doesn't support *any* Corsair 32GB kits or 8 DIMMs from 2 kits like the Sabertooth does.

The Mb doesn't matter...There are no MB's that "suppprt " combining kits. It's Corsair that does not support using 2 32gig kits. For Corsair to be able to guarantee that your modules run at rated speeds and to their specs , all your memory must come from one single matched kit. If you choose to use two 32 gig kits all bets are off. If the two kits do not run together, there is not much they can do about it.

Archived