Corsair Community

CPU height details

xen.chris

Hi, i own a Noctua NH-D14 which needs 170mm of clearance. Besides full towers which i believe that automatically support this cooler, which are the normal sized cases that allow the installation of this cooler ? I'd appreciate if this info would be written in the specs of each case, because even the reviewers don't touch this subject.

Respectfully yours, Christian.

I'd appreciate if this info would be written in the specs of each case, because even the reviewers don't touch this subject.

Other than other users that are maybe using this cooler there would be no information. Cases are not built to "support" coolers and would be up to the individual user to measure carefully.

It would probably be easier to get the case you want first and adjust your cooling solution if necessary.

Mathematics is being used when building a case. So when you design a case, you know the distance between each parts. There's no super-secret to reveal cpu cooler height.

peanutz94, i've bought best cpu cooler in my opinion. I'm looking for a case to accomodate it. Btw, i don't believe it's a normal way to buy a case just to see if it fits your current hardware & if not, one returns it.

Mathematics is being used when building a case. So when you design a case, you know the distance between each parts. There's no super-secret to reveal cpu cooler height.

peanutz94, i've bought best cpu cooler in my opinion. I'm looking for a case to accomodate it. Btw, i don't believe it's a normal way to buy a case just to see if it fits your current hardware & if not, one returns it.

I have a corsair mid tower Vengeance C70 which is large for a mid tower and it will not hold the Noctua NH-D14 so I am pretty sure you will need a full tower. i wish mine did hold that cooler as I am a big Noctua fan, I use their top of the line case fans.

I'd bet a 12pack unfiltered that current Obsidian 800D doesn't have enough room for my cooler. How i came to that conclusion ? Because is only 22cm wide, very much like your C70.

From my reading on the net, one can be certain that a case can house D14 only the width of the case is at least 25cm. Having this width, no matter how the doors are set on the main body -with hinges or by sliding- is enough space above 17cm required by Austrian silent.

PS: speaking of D800 - i see a price drop of 100$ to 100€. This means new beauties loom on the horizon... Bring on CES, CeBIT & whatever you need to proudly introduce your new Obsidians.

• 2 weeks later...
It should fit. It does have 170mm clearance, and Iv'e tested this with my previous personal system:

Socket 1366, i7 920.

with my C70 and ASUS Sabertooth X58 1366 socket i7 970 6 core my side windowed panel will not go back on with the NH-D14, i had too buy a different cooler when i transfered my parts from my old case too the C70. so you must have the 800D yes?

Archived