Corsair Community

New H100i Link Fan Controller Blowout?

JazzMac251

I decided to use the spare Corsair Link connection on my new H100i block to allow Link to control my GPU rad's fans in addition to the H100i rad's CPU fans. To do to this I needed to feed the Link cable through a hole in the upper left corner of the case (Graphite 600T) between a couple of (not-spinning) fans to allow it to meet up with the fan plugs stored on the other side of the case. So, I plugged the Link cable into the CPU block and proceeded to feed it through the hole. Suddenly, the computer rebooted without warning. Very odd. After that, Link no longer would spin-up any fans, nor would the GUI software register any fans as plugged into the CPU block. Fans physically connected to Link do not spin up during system boot, and they do not spin-up during OS operation.

The pump and the LED are both still working, and Corsair Link is still returning readings for CPU/GPU/Pump temps, pump "RPM", and CPU load. Again, nothing at all regarding fans; they're not even recognized as being plugged in. All the fans in question still work as I've tested them on other fan headers without issue.

I have tried unplugging and re-plugging all the power and fan cables, reflashing the H100i firmware, unstalling/reinstalling the Windows-based Corsair Link software, unplugging the USB header and plugging it back in, and unplugging all power cables and powering down the PC for an extended amount of time (about 10 or 15 mins). Nothing gets any fans connected to the Link input on the CPU block spinning again.

I'm guessing that what happened is that, while feeding the Link cables through the case, the exposed fan-header pins grazed a component with sufficient voltage to fry the the H100i's integrated fan controller. Is this likely/possible? If so, how!? First of all, I had no idea that any EXPOSED components were carrying such a large amount of current. If that's the case, is it safe to be poking around the mobo with the system on!? Second of all, I re-examined the area through which the Link cables were passing, and there's not much over there -at least there's not much that ISN'T being blocked by fans or the mounted H100i radiator.

Is there anything else I can attempt to do that would either verify the fan controller as being burned out or potentially fix this problem? If not, is it still possible to RMA this unit or send it back to the vendor? I've only had it for 2 days.

Thanks

its possible the warranty was voided by working on the computer while it was running

you may not get an official answer till wednesday tho.

That would be such a drag. I mean, I generally don't work on my PC when it's running for that very reason (among others). But, connecting/disconnecting fans is entirely a different story. I really didn't think anything of it... :eek:

Thanks for the response. :o:

That's good to hear. I really feel like it shouldn't be possible to completely hose the fan controller by (potentially) gently touching the Link cables to exposed components on the mobo. I mean, sure, if you're trying to shove it into an exposed power socket...

Something similar happened to me. I unplugged the CPU fan connector to check for a possible fan control issue and then I reconnected it while my system was running. There was a smell of fried electronics coming from my system. According to Corsair, this shouldn't have caused any problems, but regardless, it's likely that this is the reason why my motherboard no longer detects the CPU fan speed from my H100i. It's not the motherboard CPU header either because I've tested other fans and I've even replaced the motherboard for other reasons.

Archived