Corsair Community

AX760i Startup and Shutdown Noise, Efficiency?

froglegs

I just installed a new AX760i in my system and have a few concerns.

1. Every time I turn on the computer the PSU fan ramps up to 100% for around 10 seconds and then goes back down to low rpm / off. It sounds like a hair dryer and gets very obnoxious when I'm messing around with BIOS settings or overclocking (anything that requires me to restart a bunch of times). First, is this normal and if it is, is there anything I can do to prevent it?

2. Every time I shut the computer down the PSU makes a very loud click (sounds like a branch snapping in half). Not really a big deal, just wanted to make sure it was normal as I've never had a PSU do this before.

3. How accurate is the corsair link software? A majority of the time it shows an efficiency below 90% (usually 82-87%). The efficiency chart shows that it shouldn't be dropping below 90%. If the software is buggy or something it isn't really a big deal. I purchased the power supply for its efficiency, voltage regulation and the warranty so I just want to make sure everything is running as it should.

Thanks

I get the startup noise as well, so I assume no problem there. I do not, however, get the click noise, at least not that I have noticed.

As far as the software goes. The back shows two lines, depending on where you live. Power in America would be the line that shows it going under 90%. As far as your %'s go, I have noticed mine being at 99% for most of the time, while dipping under occasionally. Sometimes it will it an 82% or something like that, but only for a quick moment.

Hopefully other members can answer you on the click noise.

I get the startup noise as well, so I assume no problem there. I do not, however, get the click noise, at least not that I have noticed.

As far as the software goes. The back shows two lines, depending on where you live. Power in America would be the line that shows it going under 90%. As far as your %'s go, I have noticed mine being at 99% for most of the time, while dipping under occasionally. Sometimes it will it an 82% or something like that, but only for a quick moment.

Hopefully other members can answer you on the click noise.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like this is normal operation for the most part. I suppose if the click does cause a future problem I do have a 7 year warranty. From my past experience corsair's warranty service is top notch so I suppose I have nothing to worry about. If anybody else has an ax760i I'd love to hear some more experiences with this PSU.

Both the fan kick-in (which is present for example on all modern servers, where fans have to be checked for 100% functionality) at the startup and the click right before power off is absolutely normal afaik. My AX760i is doing both too.

*edit* Regarding the efficiency... What Power In (W) and Power Out (W) does it show? Mine usually shows 120/122W which is "99% eff" while I'm browsing, when both CPU and GPU are almost idle.

Temp is around 37-40 °C - until I make no load the fan is off (0 rpm). When I do make some load, temp falls to 25°C under reasonable silent fan rpm. Anyway I'm very satisfied with the PSU.

• 2 months later...

Hi

According to the CorsairLINK2 my system use approximately 80-220W out depending on if it's idle or under load. The efficiency almost always stay between 70-80%. It can reach 80-90% for a few seconds at best at different W out but that is very rare. PSU temp according to CorsairLINK2 is 23.5C°.

Shouldn't a platinum PSU @760W be able to stay at ≥90% efficiency at ≥152W? See below.

80 PLUS Certification

115V Internal Non-Redundant 230V Internal Redundant

% of Rated Load 10% 20% 50% 100% 10% 20% 50% 100%

80 PLUS Platinum --- 90% 92% 89% --- 90% 94% 91%

I understand that the program might not be 100% accurate, if anything, I'd expect it to show an efficiency that's greater than it actually is. If that's true here, do I have a reason to be concerned?

Greatly appreciate any input!

Thanks in advance.

Best regards

Jimmie

1. Every time I turn on the computer the PSU fan ramps up to 100% for around 10 seconds and then goes back down to low rpm / off. It sounds like a hair dryer and gets very obnoxious when I'm messing around with BIOS settings or overclocking (anything that requires me to restart a bunch of times). First, is this normal and if it is, is there anything I can do to prevent it?

This is normal. The fan runs at 100% for a couple of seconds as a self-test of the fan.

Sorry, there is no way to shut that off or prevent it.

2. Every time I shut the computer down the PSU makes a very loud click (sounds like a branch snapping in half). Not really a big deal, just wanted to make sure it was normal as I've never had a PSU do this before.

Again, normal. It's just an internal "switch" that shutting off.

3. How accurate is the corsair link software? A majority of the time it shows an efficiency below 90% (usually 82-87%). The efficiency chart shows that it shouldn't be dropping below 90%. If the software is buggy or something it isn't really a big deal. I purchased the power supply for its efficiency, voltage regulation and the warranty so I just want to make sure everything is running as it should.

I understand that the program might not be 100% accurate, if anything, I'd expect it to show an efficiency that's greater than it actually is. If that's true here, do I have a reason to be concerned?

Software of any kind that is used for monitoring can't be trusted 100%. Unless your experiencing stability issues there is no reason to be concerned.

Archived