Corsair Community

Very basic installation questions

FalvinP

I’ve just received my brand new AX760 PSU. I’ve installed power supplies before but none as nice as this, although my HX 520 is very nice.

I have a few questions concerning the installation of this unit. I think I know what to do, but I don’t want to take any chances, so please indulge me……..

I’ve looked at the installation sticky, but the info is from 2006. I looked at the information, but my questions were not addressed. Things have changed a bit since then and I want to get the most up to date information.

First of all, most of the cables have “AX760/AX860 only” stamped on them. However, the 24 pin power cable has “650-860AX only” stamped on the end. Or…….. This just occurred to me………. Does this mean all AX units with numbers between 650 and 860? I bet that’s it, but please confirm. Speaking of the main power cable…… it has two connectors on the same cable that connect to the psu. Do I plug both of them into the psu in the two sections labeled “24 pin atx” or do I just use the larger connector? I only have one place (hard wired) for the current 24 pin power cord to plug in to the psu with my current unit.

I have two cpu cables and I don’t know why. I’m thinking some motherboards have two places to plug in cpu power although my motherboard has only one. It’s an eight pin connector. I presume I pick one of the two “4+4 cpu” areas on the psu.

Lastly, does it make a difference whether or not the psu is installed with the fan up or down? I usually prefer the fan pointing down, since it puts the two heavy power cords, which are hard wired in my HX520, toward the inside of the case which makes it easier to get at the other types of cables for when I swap, add, or delete components. My case is very large and has an area below where the psu sits that has a vent out the back of the machine. My current psu is mounted fan down.

Thank you for your assistance. I realize these are extremely basic questions, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

for the 24 pin yes you plug both of the psu ends into the 24 pin atx plug on the psu. for the cpu yes some motherboards have 2 cpu's. so plug just one into your motherboard and then the other end into the 4+4 cpu plug on the psu. and yes on the AX760/AX860 as the Corsair sleeved cables you can buy show the same set for the 650 750 & 850 AX models.

if your psu mounts in the bottom of your case and your case has a intake grill in the bottom then mount your psu with the fan too the bottom of the case so it will pull in cool air and exhaust hot air out the back of the psu which is going out of the rear of your case.

Thank you for your reply.

I imagine that included in the list power supplies for the cables are the 760 and 860 models, which are the newest models.

My case doesn't have an intake vent on the bottom, but it does have a vent at the very bottom rear of the case, under the power supply bracket. This is where the exhaust from the psu fan comes out. This has worked ok with the 520 unit, but are there any issues with using the the more powerful unit in the same way?

Your case doesn't have an intake on the bottom for the fan , but you still run your fan facing down? If i understood that correctly, i would highly advise against that. There would be no way for the PSU to have any sort of good air circulation to keep it cool.

If i mis understood your statement, sorry about that! :)

Archived