Corsair Community

Old PC Ram upgrade problems

Tecco

So i decided to put some more ram in my old pc.

It is an old

DFI DK X58-T3eH6 motherboard with a i7 920 2.66Ghz

The ram i already had was a

3x2Gb Dominator (TR3X6G1866C9D (9-9-9-24))

What i bought was the closest i could find to the one i had and that was a

3x2Gb Dominator-gt (CMT6GX3M3A1866C9(9-9-9-24))

The old ram always had to be set manually to run more than 1066 and they have never really run more than the 1600 the motherboard could handle but that was ok by me.

Problem is now when i got the new Dominator GT installed eventho i set the memory timings manually 9-9-9-24 and voltage to 1.85v(needed to actually show close to 1.65(shows 1.67)) and the speed to 1600(15-something actually) it still starts up as 1066 :sigh!:

There is abunch of other stuff you can adjust in the bios under ram timings, i dont really know much about or have been able to find usable info about.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you for the reply :), i would ofc have bought a 100% identical set if i were able to find it within the borders of Denmark(where i live).

The closest i could buy was the dominator-gt, and since they had basically the same stats: 1.65v, 1866Mhz, 9-9-9-24. that was the reason they were chosen.

There is no point in just using the new set since it does'nt increase the amount of ram wich i really need. I bought the new set to get 12gb of ram, not just 6gb that are slightly faster.

I find it really wierd that both set will run at 1066 paired and not at 1333 or 1600, when they are both specced to be able to run at 1866.

The bios simply shows them as 1066 at startup and the continues to load windows no matter what.

It is way under both sets max.

• Corsair Employees
Even if you had purchased another set that was the same version there is still a good chance that it would be the same issue. We do not suggest or support mixing sets officially. However you may be able to use both sets but you will likely have to run them at DDR1333 or DDR1600.

That is the problem,i will be satisfied if they would run at 1596(1600) but they wont!! no matter how i setup the ram they start up in 1066!!!!

I setup the ram to run at blk*12(1596Mhz) Uncore to blk*24(lowest possible)

both new and old ram is installed, 9-9-9-24 is setup manually. voltage is 1.67v

i exit bios,

pc restarts,

startup shows 12gb of ram at 1066 :(

i turn of pc. remove gt ram

pc starts up shows 6gb at 1600

i turn off pc, remove old ram inserts gt ram.

pc starts up shows 6gb ram at 1600 O_o

Why does it show 1066 with both 3x2 sets and not just crash?? O_o

• Corsair Employees

The DFI X58 MB was fairly stable but did go through a few BIOS updates so the first thing to do would check that you have the latest MB BIOS, then install the new set of modules and go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and enable XMP, checking also how memory is detected in the BIOS. Wait you are not done yet.

Check on the Stepping of your CPU for the MAX QPI Voltage to use:

IE C0 Stepping Max QPI at 1.65 Volts

D0 Stepping Max QPI ar 1.44 Volts

Then with QPI enabled look to see what it is setting the memory Voltage to and what CPU/QPI is being set to and set them manually to 1.65 Volts for memory and 1.4 Volts for CPU/QPI.

If that passes then add the old set in the second slots and see if it will pass http://www.memtest.org

So i updated bios, tho i think it was the same version i updated years ago, :)

And here is where i am kinda stuck in your guide, i was not able to find any mention or field where i could change the "XMP" it did find all 12gbs still and still as 1066mhz. <----Edit: My MB does not have this feature because of something else called ABS :S

While there is alot of stuff you can change with the "QPI" word in it, QPI Control Settings, QPI Link fast mode, QPI Frequency, but not under voltage settings.

This might be a dumb question, but can it be called something else? i admit i have very little idea what you are talking about with the: IE C0 Stepping Max QPI at 1.65 Volts

D0 Stepping Max QPI ar 1.44 Volts.

i have theese voltage options to choose from:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Tecco/IMAG0417_zps3b9d7c3f.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Tecco/IMAG0418_zps5ef03ae7.jpg

Edit: After some roaming in here and on the internetz, i found out that the QPI is called "cpu vtt" on my motherboard.

Also Sis sandra told me that the "Stepping Mask" is D0

So i set up theese values, and still it starts at 1066 up to 1596 :S

On another note, the ram can now startup not paired at 1866. If paired and at 1866 bios locks up.

For some reason ram timings are showed as at 1866(9-9-9-24 1N):

10-9-9-24 6-33-14-8 1T <--- wth. is up here it is not 9 at the first as it was set to? O_o

11-9-9-24 6-33-14-8 1T

11-9-9-24 6-33-14-8 1T

At 1066(9-9-9-24 1T):

9-9-9-24 4-33-8-4 1T

9-9-9-24 4-33-8-4 1T

9-9-9-24 4-33-8-4 1T

In sandra. If GT blocks are replaced by the non GT they show the exact same timings :S

After fiddling some more with sandra, sandra told me that both types of ram told it that the "optimal" setting is:

9-9-9-24 7-47-14-7 2T http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Tecco/sandrareccomentgt_zps8cc14a1e.png

How do you know wich one is wich of the numbers after 24? (7-47-14-7)

Edit: After some roaming in here and on the internetz, i found out that the QPI is called "cpu vtt" on my motherboard.

Also Sis sandra told me that the "Stepping Mask" is D0

So i set up theese values, and still it starts at 1066 up to 1596 :S

On another note, the ram can now startup not paired at 1866. If paired and at 1866 bios locks up.

This is where mixing kits and filling all the slots bites you. Reduce the frequency to 1600mhz with the same timings that are on the label (2N)and keep the voltages where they are at for now.

After fiddling some more with sandra, sandra told me that both types of ram told it that the "optimal" setting is:

9-9-9-24 7-47-14-7 2T http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...ps8cc14a1e.png

How do you know which one is which of the numbers after 24? (7-47-14-7

You don't even need to worry about the rest of those settings. They are best left on auto to let the MB set them.

Just set the first 4 9-9-9-24 with 2N that should be more stable. If not try adding.2v more to the QPI volatge.Just don't go any more than 1.45v.

This is where mixing kits and filling all the slots bites you. Reduce the frequency to 1600mhz with the same timings that are on the label (2N)and keep the voltages where they are at for now.

You don't even need to worry about the rest of those settings. They are best left on auto to let the MB set them.

Just set the first 4 9-9-9-24 with 2N that should be more stable. If not try adding.2v more to the QPI volatge.Just don't go any more than 1.45v.

Thank you for the answer. :)

I tried both, no matter how i do it if it is not 1866 it starts up as 1066.

On another note, i put the rams in opposite(old first then new) by mistake last i took them out, now it starts up showing 4gigs at 1866 enstead of crashing, but still 12gb if i go back to 1066. :|

• Corsair Employees

You should be using CPU-Z and look under the memory Tab; the program you are using is looking at the SPD Values not the actual settings that the chipset is running the memory at.

And I would try exactly what I suggested previously.

Find where XMP is listed it has to be there as it was part of the Intel reference BIOS provided to all MB manufacturers in development. I would suggest calling the MB makers tech support if you cannot find it.

Then go to BIOS setup with only the new set of modules installed and load setup defaults and enable XMP and set the memory Voltage to 1.65 Volts and set the CPU/Vtt to 1.425 Volts and make sure command Rate is set to 2T and set the memory frequency manually to DDr1600 then exit the Bios saving changes and boot to Windows and run CPU-Z and post a screen shot of the memory Tab.

Here is the screenshot

manually T2 rest on auto and set to 1596(1600) manually.

The closest to 1.65 i could get in actual voltage was 1.66, and 1.43 in the other.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a396/Tecco/cpu-zat1596_zpsc8046a21.png

XMP is not a feature on my MB because of some dumb in windows auto overclocking system that doesent work anyways. :/ Or so i read..

XMP is in the BIOS and would have nothing to do with windows based overclocking software. I did however look up your owners manual, and sure enough , there is no XMP setting in there. Usually it is under DRAM settings. The usual choices are XMP, manual, auto. D.O.C.p. But not on your board.

A 3X4GB kit would have been the better option if 12GB total was desired.

I really have to agree, and can only conclude that your two kits just don't like each other, and 1066mhz is very possible that that is all you'll get out of the two.

I wouldn't try adding any more voltage to either settings. You should have been able to run 1600mhz easily with no more than 1.3vQPI. !.45v may be on the high side, but you don't know what stepping model CPU you have. (that information is printed on top of the CPU itself. If you knew which one you had, it's possible(but unlikely) that even more voltage could help. But i wouldn't chance it if your not sure.

Well the 3x2gb was the only one availeble in the stores anyplace in dk, just finding that was a problem, all was 2xSomething. and even if i a bigger was availeble i would still have bought the 3x2 since i was going for an as cheap upgrade as possible.

I also find it ridicilous with 6 ram slots if only 3 is usable.

Anyways i returned the ram to the PC store and got my money back enstead.

I would like to thank you all for the support in trying to make it work,

Merry X-mas to you all :)

Archived