Corsair Community

The more I read, the more confused I become. Memory (RAM). I do CADD work here at home, building this new PC and all is well till it comes to memory. This PC isn't for show, no window in the case anyway. I purchased Corsair Dominator Platinum (4x4GB) DDR3-2400MHz Kit, that I found out has a 1.65v which is over what Intel recommends for the i7-3770K (1.5v) Not into over-clocking the memory CPU or video card, like you experts are!!!. Reading on the they say 2x8GB is better, lower latency is better say 7, totally lost now on what ram this pc should have, 4 sticks or 2 sticks or just get 4x8GB and fill them all to the max???? Please help here as to which way to go. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Reading on the they say 2x8GB is better, lower latency is better say 7, totally lost now on what ram this pc should have, 4 sticks or 2 sticks or just get 4x8GB and fill them all to the max???? Please help here as to which way to go. Thank you so much in advance!!!!

Yes, technically you should have 1.5v memory. But there are alot of users that use it despite the risk of voiding a CPu warranty.Your building a work machine , and not a gamer , so you don't want the Platinums. Those are enthusiast modules aimed at the serious overclocker.

Your cpu only OFFICALLLY supports 1600mhz memory. Your not interested in overclocking then I would go with a 1600mhz kit. Even an 1866mhz would be a slight overclock and very easy on the memory controller and a slight performance boost over your stock 1600mhz..

Yes, the fewer the sticks the less the load on the memory controller, but if you need capacity over peed, using all four isn't going to hurt anything. Thats what they are there for! :)

If this is a new built I would return them for something in the Vengeance line. They were designed around and tested on Sandy?Ivybridge CPU's and are rated at 1.5v.

You do CAD work which can be a memory hog depending on what your running. So you'll get a greater boost in performance with capacity than you would benefit from faster memory.

Thanks for the feedback, I do intend to return the Dominator, so going with say the Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3 series, 2X8's or because its CAD just fill all 4 slots with 4x8's and be done with it.

Example would be:

1. Corsair CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10 Vengeance - 32GB (4 x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin, 1.5V, CL10, Unbuffered, XMP Ready

2. Corsair CMP32GX3M4X1600C10 Dominator - 32GB (4 x 8GB), PC-3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, 240-pin, 1.5V CL10, (can't find if this memory is unbuffered or not!!)

3. Corsair (again UNKNOWN) Dominator -32GB with the Airflow Fan System (I would like this option), since using the Corsair H100i for cooling no issues with the cooler over the memory chips.

Always have used Corsair, however again reading on the net, G.Skill seems to have high ratings also. Thanks all for the positive feedback and any recommendations!!!!

Archived