Corsair Community

Does the Corsair Carbide 500r (Black) have a fan controller?

Polymer

Hey, I was interested in purchasing the Carbide 500r in black to upgrade my base unit. However, I came across this table in Dabs comparing the different versions (bottom of the webpage).

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-carbide-series-500r-mid-tower-gaming-chassis--black-7LGG.html

It seems to indicate that only the white version has the fan controller despite them being the same model and price. Is this true? Thanks :)

They both have a fan controller. That said, you might not notice any difference between the high, low, and medium settings. I certainly do not. And you cannot connect the 500R's fans to a different fan controller as their connectors are proprietary.

They both have a fan controller. That said, you might not notice any difference between the high, low, and medium settings. I certainly do not. And you cannot connect the 500R's fans to a different fan controller as their connectors are proprietary.

I came to the forum just to ask about this. I am just finishing my first build with the 500R, and to me I cannot notice a difference between low, medium, and high settings on the "fan controller". I was wondering if is defective, but it sounds like it is the same for you, G50EED. Anyone else?

I thought I would just plug the fans into the motherboard, but then I ran into the problem you mentioned: proprietary plugs. I did run across a post somewhere that mentions someone being able to plug them into the motherboard anyways...

That leads me to another question which might deserve its own thread: Even if I splice plugs onto the fans and plug into the motherboard, will my fan control software even be able to control the speed? The reason being is that the normal "tachometer" pin on a case fan is actually the LED pin on the 500R fans. Without being able to read the speed of the fan, how can the software control it?

Well I just took a closer look, and the 3-speed fan controller does in fact work. It was difficult to hear the fans changing speeds over the noise coming from my H100i fans (haven't updated the firmware yet to fix the jitter issue). I also checked the voltage going to the 200mm side fan in each setting: Low = 6.14V, Med = 9.84V, High = 12.13V.

I would be interested in finding out about this. I have the 500r white LED case fans lying disused in a corner. Is there a way to get them working from a mobo fan header? I have another pc that could do with those two 120mm.

Is it just a question of changing the header to a regular one, is the pin out the same?

Thanks, Greg.

I would be interested in finding out about this. I have the 500r white LED case fans lying disused in a corner. Is there a way to get them working from a mobo fan header? I have another pc that could do with those two 120mm.

Is it just a question of changing the header to a regular one, is the pin out the same?

Thanks, Greg.

The 500R fans have 3 pins: ground, power, LED. From what I understand, normal case fans have 3 pins also, but they are: ground, power, and tach signal.

I read somewhere that someone was able to get the proprietary plugs to fit onto the mobo headers, but I haven't tried yet. If that is the case, you can just plug it and it should work; however, the mobo will not have a tach reading on the fan. I am unfamiliar with how the fan control software works, but if it needs to know the fan speed (via the tach signal), it won't have it. Maybe it will just run it at full speed (it 12V)?

Oh, and if you still want the LEDs to function on the fans, you'll have to wire up the LED pins on the 500R fans to a 12V power signal, either directly (always ON) or via a switch.

Archived