Corsair Community

Accelerator 60GB and NVidia Controller Help Needed ( nForce 980a SLI chipset)

moto377

Nowhere did I see a compatibility issue with Accelerator drive and NVidia controllers, until I tried installing the Dataplex caching software. Nothing is listed on Corsair's website and product page for the accelerator SSD.

I have the following ASUS mother board at http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3/M4N98TD_EVO/#overview

Is there anyway to get this to work? How about another caching software? My motherboard is still on market with ASUS.

Thank you

Yes, it is listed in the obscure Dataplex "limitations" link rather than the very clear "compatibility" section, which is where it should also be. Really, how many layers should one have to drill down to discover something as major as this? It should be made a clear, obvious limitation under the "compatibility" section which is what people typically look at.

Curently says:

Compatibility

- SATA 2 or higher

- Microsoft Windows 7

- 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive bay

Should say:

Compatibility

- SATA 2 or higher (NVIDIA storage controllers not supported)

- Microsoft Windows 7

- 2.5" or 3.5" hard drive bay

The compatibility section and the FAQ are talking about the drive it self having no known issues with different platforms, it's not talking about Dataplex.

I couldn't disagree more with your last comment. If what you are saying is true, why is Windows 7 mentioned? That is a Dataplex requirement. Soon it will also say Win 8 when Dataplex, not the drive, is compatible with Win 8.

From a readers perspective the product consists of both a drive, software and everything else in the package, not just one portion of it. People look at those sections to determine if that product in its entirety will work in their system.

The link you posted was the drive spec as Toasted replied , i have found where you mention the compatability here

http://www.corsair.com/us/ssd/accelerator-series-ssd-cache-drives/accelerator-series-60gb-solid-state-cache-drive.html

but noticed you had to scroll down past the dataplex limitations to get to it .

Also when Corsair bought out these drives ( along with other suppliers ) there were several versions of Dataplex bought out to try and fix the problems with Nforce chipsets but after a while Nvelo dropped support for Nforce as the chipset is not fully SATA compliant , you would have issues at some point with any ssd with or without using Dataplex .

End result is either replace your board ( yes it may be in production still but is using a chipset with no active support ( latest drivers are around may 2011 ) , and a known history of problems with SATA drives both ssd and mechanical .

get another pci sata controller and connect your drives to that .

return the ssd for a refund .

I get it, I need to return the drive. However, as late as 04-18-12, Dataplex was apparently trying to work out the issue (See below). Also, I am aware of many running SSD on this board via the SATA controller on the board. Either way, unless I hear from someone running Accelerator with the latest NVidia chipset (980a) I will be returning it.

By the way, I am a Corsair fan and my system has a Corsair PS, H100 cooler, Graphite mid-tower gaming case and Vengence memory. I have always appreciated the top notch support!

Version 1.1.3.3 (04-18-2012)

1. New Features:

1.1 None

2. Resolved Issues:

2.1 Audit mode installation failure.

2.2 AMD Raid0 configuration incompatibility.

2.3 Nvidia storage controller BSOD.

2.4 Install/Uninstall failure when System restore creation is

disabled in group policy.

2.5 Misc licensing issues.

Well, I decided to "risk" it and I installed it anyway. I cloned my hard drive just in case things blew up while running Dataplex with my Nvidia controller. Since installing, I have been using my PC more than usual as I have had some time off - gaming with Battlefield 3, MX vs ATV Reflex, Outlook/MS Office, Windows Media Player, Google Chrome, etc. and after 4 days no issues yet. I have rebooted Win7 many times to see if I could force a problem that way as well. I really like the performance boost!

Perhaps since I am running the latest NVidia chipset (the 980a) has something to do with it. I believe the 980a was not out very long before NVidia got out of the business, therefore few motherboards were mfg with it and most people who have tried the Accelerator drive might be using even older NVidia chipsets (700 series, 600 series, etc.). I have seen many people running SSD with the 980a w/o any issues as well.

So, we shall see how it hold up - time will tell - thanks!

• Corsair Employees
Perhaps and the fact that older 600 and 700 series chipsets did not officially support AHCI but an easy work around is to use a third party S-ATA PCI controller which not very expensive and what I would suggest if you have any issues. And one thing I would suggest is that you turn off Auto updates and purchase a controller card ASAP.

Still no issues, has been running great. But like you said, if there are any issues, I will go with a PCI-E SATA card.

- Any recommendations on cards?

- Also, if auto updates are turned off, how should updates be performed? Manually check,download and install?

Thank you

Quick update - I began to have two issues in particular - Battlefield 3 freezing up during game play and graphical anomalies on my screen such as the border of a window remaining after moving it.

Since removing Dataplex I no longer have these issues. However, I miss the speed!

What card do you recommend that works well with Corsair SSD drives?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at a SATA III card that has two internal ports. Should I add both the Accelerator drive and my HDD to this card, or should I keep my HDD connected to my Motherboard SATA controller, and ONLY connect the accelerator drive to this add-on card?

Thanks,

Wayne

Well, not to continue the drama, but I think I had a breakthrough with this issue. Even after uninstalling dataplex and unhooking the Accelerator drive, I was still experiencing random freezes in Battlefield 3, which I thought was caused by Dataplex and my NVidia controller. I then realized that at the very same time I added the Accelerator drive I had also upgraded BF3 to BF3 Premium Edition. Fortunately, when BF3 would have an issue, sometimes I was given a DirectX error. After searching and finding a solution for the DirextX issue, I have not had any more issues. I then added the Accelerator drive back into my system and so far, NO issues playing BF3 - no freezes or screen anomalies.

Time will tell, but I would have certainly had issues by now had I not corrected the DirectX problem. I hope it works as I really like the performance added with the Accelerator drive, and didn't want to add in another card in my system!

Thanks for all your help up to the point.

702852182_BF3Fixfromevgaforums.thumb.JPG.24e269bba0ca739f92d562350932a6db.JPG

1190557553_DXError.JPG.41107ab12d7c8073d3fb0e533d29f305.JPG

Archived