Corsair Community

Does changing out memory chips demand any king of software alteration?

Trailbandit

This has been bugging me lately...

I'm currently putting together a new rig and I've selected the CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 For now. (could have gone with the CMZ8GX3M4X1600C9 but they became available to me shortly AFTER I made the order.... :mad: )

Anyway I chose the xms because I was running REALLY low on budget at that point and I'm hoping to upgrade them again sometime around Easter IF I find the CMX8GX3M4A1333C9 to be to slow/small for me.

So my question: When I get around to upgrade them, Do I simply take the old chips out, insert the new ones and away I go? Is it that simple or do I need to do anything else? I did that once in the past with my current rig and everything seemed to work out fine. Did I miss anything?

Noob question, I know :D:

And by the way: How much of a difference would I see between the 1333 and 1600 chips (mobo and processor are shown in my specs)

So my question: When I get around to upgrade them, Do I simply take the old chips out, insert the new ones and away I go? Is it that simple or do I need to do anything else? I did that once in the past with my current rig and everything seemed to work out fine. Did I miss anything?

Just make sure you reset your BIOS before inserting the new sticks. Most BIOS's will try to post with the last saved settings, so if that is not reset , you may have trouble getting them to run.

So pull your old sticks out, reset the BIOS, then insert the new ones.

And by the way: How much of a difference would I see between the 1333 and 1600 chips (mobo and processor are shown in my specs)

Nothing you would notice in real world performance.You would need to run a memory benchmark and compare the numbers. With that MB and processor you could pretty easily run 1866mhz or 2133mhz ram which you would definitely notice

Just make sure you reset your BIOS before inserting the new sticks. Most BIOS's will try to post with the last saved settings, so if that is not reset , you may have trouble getting them to run.

So pull your old sticks out, reset the BIOS, then insert the new ones.

How do I reset the bios? Is is a software thing or do I just take the PCB battery out?

Nothing you would notice in real world performance.You would need to run a memory benchmark and compare the numbers. With that MB and processor you could pretty easily run 1866mhz or 2133mhz ram which you would definitely notice

Hmmm... I might try to invest in a CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 16gig kit. It's about 50€ (60$) up but I guess I can tough it out. I really can't afford 2133mhz right now though!

Is there a difference between 8*2 and 4*4 chip set up in performance?

Your new MB should have a BIOS or CMOS reset button on the rear I/O panel. Please check your manual for the procedure, because they differ frm board to board.

Is there a difference between 8*2 and 4*4 chip set up in performance?

Yes, your MB has a quad channel memory architecture. So you WANT a 4 stick kit. If you only use two sticks your only using two out of the 4 channels and cutting performance in half.

You could choose from any of the kits listed here

http://www.corsair.com/en/memory/intel-memory-upgrades/quad-channel-intel-memory-upgrade-kits.html

The Vengeange series would be the best fit your system. It is rated at 1.5v at 1866 or 2133mhz, and also designed for the Sandy/Ivybridge CPU's.

With your system 1.5v memory is recommended. If you choose memory that is rated above that voltage you could potentially damage the memory controller in the CPU.

Also here is a complete list that were already tested on that board. Please note there are 4+ pages of results.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?sc=us&id=2433292

Actually, I meant 8chips * 2GB each versus 4 chips* 4GB each.

I will try and go for a 4*4 setup CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 (I can see it listed in your reference, Very useful) Because right now that's about as much as I can spend on memory and already over budget.

Would I see a huge difference with an 8chip * 2GB setup?

Alternatively I can just wait for prices to drop and install another 4*4 set for 32 GB total later this year.

you're being very helpful with all this, Thanks!

Would I see a huge difference with an 8chip * 2GB setup?

Absolutely none! There is no difference performance wise other than the amount of load that is placed on the memory controller in your CPU. Less sticks = less strain on the memeory controller. So fewer is best.

Alternatively I can just wait for prices to drop and install another 4*4 set for 32 GB total later this year.

You have that option, just be aware that Corsair does not suggest or support mixing/combining/adding memory at a later date. Two sets of the exact same memory can actually be incompatible with each other. There just is no way to tell if any two random kits will work with each other. They also can not guarantee that the two kits would run at rated speed when mixed. So there is a possibility that you my have to run them at 1600, or even 1333mhz to get the two kits to play nice with each other. And that just defeats the purpose of buying faster memory...If that would and does happen, there isn't much Corsair can do except maybe RMA one kit in hopes you get one that plays nice with the other. And that just puts you back in the same position again.

If your thinking your going to need 32 gig;'s in the near future, i really suggest you just purchase a matched 32 gig set now. Whether it be a 8x4 kit or a 4x8gig kit(better option) now. It may be a little more expensive now, but it can also save you far more than the difference in price of the kits...

32 gig 1866 Vengeance kit can be had for 200 bucks, And a matched 32gig 1600mhz kit for 179.00 Vengeance® — 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)which may seem a bit on the high side... dirt cheap compared to my 24 gig 1600mmhz Dominators were 509.00 when I purchased them...

Absolutely none! There is no difference performance wise other than the amount of load that is placed on the memory controller in your CPU. Less sticks = less strain on the memeory controller. So fewer is best.

You have that option, just be aware that Corsair does not suggest or support mixing/combining/adding memory at a later date. Two sets of the exact same memory can actually be incompatible with each other. There just is no way to tell if any two random kits will work with each other. They also can not guarantee that the two kits would run at rated speed when mixed. So there is a possibility that you my have to run them at 1600, or even 1333mhz to get the two kits to play nice with each other. And that just defeats the purpose of buying faster memory...If that would and does happen, there isn't much Corsair can do except maybe RMA one kit in hopes you get one that plays nice with the other. And that just puts you back in the same position again.

Good news! :)

If your thinking your going to need 32 gig;'s in the near future, i really suggest you just purchase a matched 32 gig set now. Whether it be a 8x4 kit or a 4x8gig kit(better option) now. It may be a little more expensive now, but it can also save you far more than the difference in price of the kits...

32 gig 1866 Vengeance kit can be had for 200 bucks, And a matched 32gig 1600mhz kit for 179.00 Vengeance® — 32GB Quad Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10)which may seem a bit on the high side... dirt cheap compared to my 24 gig 1600mmhz Dominators were 509.00 when I purchased them...

I understand.

I managed to go With the CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9 4*4 kit. Fortunately it was still available.

For now i thing it's plenty. If I do need more later on, well what you gonna do? :D I'll just get a new 8*4 kit. No way to afford it right now though.

Archived