Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4x4gb - Not working with x79 Sabertooth Motherboard

JamieHarris

Hi guys..

I am new here and I am not as technically advanced as I would like to be hence me posting here. I know quite a bit about computers but when it comes to this stuff I worry that I might blow up my machine!

To put it simple.. I have 4 x 4gb sticks installed on my motherboard. 3 of them work. I have changed the sticks around to see if any one of them are faulty but no problems.

I was told I require to mess with the voltages etc to allow the motherboard to use more than the 3 DIMMs is this correct?

Also if it is correct would anyone be kind enough to kind of walk me through it so I don't mess up?!

I have looked on the bios and it shows 12gb working.. Looked at windows and it tells me 12gb.. Look at CPU-Z and it tells me 16gb is installed.

Thanks,

Jamie

Unfortunately your mixing/combining memory which is not supported or suggested by Corsair. Two sets of the exact same memory can actually be incompatible with each other. Which may be the case here, but lets try a couple of things first.

Have you tried enabling the XMP profile in your BIOS? If not that would be the first thing to try. Check your MB manual on how to do this. It should be under the AItweaker/overclocker menu.

If you still get the same results with the XMP profile enabled, ,manually set the DIMM voltage to 1.6v ( may be DRAM voltage in your BIOS) Just scroll to the line , hit enter to highlight, then enter 1.6, and hit enter again. Save your changes and restart. and see what happens.

We'll go from there depending on the results. :)

Thanks I will give that a go today!

Your comment on using more than one stick of the same RAM stick has confused me a little.. I thought that would be something that companies would want? for a user to fill their RAM slots with the same RAM and not looking at alternative companies hardware?

The reason I have purchased 16gb of the same RAM is because I also thought that you had to keep the "Mhz" the same with each stick to make it continous.. otherwise it could effect the way the system performs.. maybe thats just me trying to be smart but I am unsure on whether or not this statement is true :P

Your comment on using more than one stick of the same RAM stick has confused me a little.. I thought that would be something that companies would want? for a user to fill their RAM slots with the same RAM and not looking at alternative companies hardware?

Basically it's the same with all memory manufacturers. I have lurked on many of the competitors site.

What it boils down to is the way the modules are tested and packaged together. Corsair, along with all the other manufacturers spend time to test/match/ and package memory into tested kits for this very reason. Adding a second kit of the same part number can be incompatible with each other because they were not all tested together. One slight difference between the two sets will throw them all off. Especially if you have two different revisions as that would indicate that the modules were made with different chips.

At any rate it's not about them wanting you to fill all your slots, it's that they want you to use a matched set so you KNOW they all run exactly the same. This is why they do sell matched 32 gig sets. The MB manufacturers are just as guilty..they give you a QVL, but don't tell you you should only use one kit, not multiples.

The reason I have purchased 16gb of the same RAM is because I also thought that you had to keep the "Mhz" the same with each stick to make it continous.. otherwise it could effect the way the system performs.. maybe thats just me trying to be smart but I am unsure on whether or not this statement is true :P

Well, in days past, that would have been true. But as MB/Memory / and CPU have evolved it has become increasingly important that all the sticks are matched. The memory controller is in the CPU instead of the MB and they really have become finicky about slight differences in modules.If you were to add , lets say a 1600 kit to your existing 1866mhz kit the MB would most likely only run at 1600mhz. With 133mhz being a strong possibility when mixing kits.

Corsair will guarantee the modules for life and rated speeds as long as you use one single matched set. Once you start adding sticks that are not matched with the others...all bets are off!

I'm not saying that it can't be done.Some do get lucky and have no issues at all. I'm just simply giving you a heads up of issues that can and have happened on a pretty regular basis.

One slight difference between the two sets will throw them all off. Especially if you have two different revisions as that would indicate that the modules were made with different chips.

They aren't all being thrown off though.. Only the one "DIMM SLOT" isn't being registered by my computer with more than 3 of the sticks in... I thought this might just be the voltages as the sticks all work together when they are checked with each other.. its just the slot that doesn't seem to want to power up.

But I now understand what you meant by it all.. Maybe I should look into purchasing a 64gb set? to avoid having to waste money on chancing using other sets to expand??

At this point i think it would be best to contact the MB manufacturer and see what they say.

Maybe I should look into purchasing a 64gb set? to avoid having to waste money on chancing using other sets to expand??

If that is what you think your going to end up with or just looking to fill all your slots then, yes, that would be best!

Archived