Corsair Community

HX 850 Gold

richard--d

Good day

Not long ago I bought a HX850 GOLD and I am very desapointed of it's performance.

The fan turn at hight speed and with a lot of noise every 7 or 8 minutes and then slowly goes down within the next 15 seconds.

This could be normal with an apps or a game open on the computer who ask more power, but it does the same thing even if nothing is open or when the computer is inactive. This is terribly disturbing over time.

I touhgt that there was a problem with it, so I asked a replacement to New Egg and the new one that I received is exactly as the first one.

Is it a bad series? Is there something to do to avoid that the power supplied start at high speeed or even when there is nothing working on the computer and that every 8 minutes.

I am not to regarding about the noise but what is anoying is the regularity of the noise who is disturbing

Can you help me? I will take it of, of my computer even if I paid 200$ to buy it and 30$ more for transportation to have it replace by New Egg if you don't have any solution to offer.

I have not overclocked my system.

Thank you

hey just as a reminder, the HX TX AX and GS series PSU are built as an ENTHUSIAST unit which can and will be subject to louder fan noises.

the CX series PSUs are built to be quiet.

there is nothing wrong with the units you purchased based on your posts, i understand you may have expected them to be quieter but that is not what they were designed around. only the CX series have the word quiet in the description.

hey just as a reminder, the HX TX AX and GS series PSU are built as an ENTHUSIAST unit which can and will be subject to louder fan noises.

the CX series PSUs are built to be quiet.

there is nothing wrong with the units you purchased based on your posts, i understand you may have expected them to be quieter but that is not what they were designed around. only the CX series have the word quiet in the description.

Enthusiasts enjoy silence as well you know. You wouldn't buy a %99.9 efficient PSU if it had a 50db fan. Nobody would.

This PSU has a complete silent operation mode under certain loads/temps. It IS advertised as a quiet PSU: http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/hx-series-power-supply-units/hx-series-hx750-power-supply-750-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-modular-psu.html

The problem is the speed of the fan when it first starts spinning. Corsair doesn't mention about that, nor did the reviewers.

Anyway, i found a solution for myself. @OP: if you are annoyed by the sound, give it a shot.

Thank you for your answers

I have a computer with a HX850 Silver and I am very satisfied with it.

When I set up my second computer I automaticly order another HX850 who is Gold thinking that I would have the same satisfaction as with the first one.

It's not the case.

It would have been easy to have the fan run slowly all the time and then to get's is speed higher GRADUALLY when needed.

Why gives a complete silence for suddently at every 8 or 10 minutes have this noice who burry all the noises of the 5 fans that I have in my box. It makes me crasy.

There is no advise about this situation with this power supply. The problem as Ozgurhx said is the speed of the fan when it start.

I will anyway try to place the fan up even if it is not the best thing to do.

I don't think that I will be able to place another fan in the back of my box. I will instead tried to forget about that purchase and by another one.

Nice Week End to all.

• Corsair Employees
I have explained this on a few different posts and this is normal for the newer PSU that support Fan-less operation. The fan will start at 100% then slow down or stop depending on the Load and internal temp and as you use the system it will ramp up to keep it bellow about 49 Deg C internally and once the load is about 40%+.

Archived