Corsair Community

Upgrade question

Sky

Hi!

I have a question regarding upgrading my system. Currently I have Athlon XP Mobile on Abit AN7 MBO. Memory is Corsair 3500C2 rev 1.1 (yes, the famed BH5 ) 512 Mb (one stick). Memory is apsloutely great, it runs at 2-2-2-10, 440 MHz, 3.0V.

Now I want to upgrade to 1 Gb, but I have a problem. I can't find another stick of that kind. I was thinking of buying 3200XL, but I don't know will it run in DC with my old memory stable.

Any suggestions?

PS. Why did Winbond discontinue BH5 and 6 series?

• Corsair Employee

Winbond stopped all DRAM production last December and their reason was they were not making money in that market!

You are welcome to try mixing the modules, but from past experience that can be a tricky adventure and would not be suggested! I would maybe try and find another use for these and just get Twinx1024-3200XL instead!

Well, I was talking to the guy that works for a hardware e-zine here in Croatia and he tells me that Corsair sent 2x512 3200XL for the testing. These are still in the testing, but preliminary results show that 3200XL are not as good as 3500C2. He tested them on 3 MBOs and compared them to 3500C2, and on AMD platform 3500C2 are better. Maybe he got some not-so-good modules, I don't know, but I have to say I trust the guy more than I trust the hardware sites like Toms Hardware, AnadTech or XBit Labs because I personally know him and I know how thoroughly he works.

Sure, XL are more than a solid performer, but 3500C2 is still the best for AMD systems.

I'll ask him to lend me one XL module for a day or so, so if he agrees, I'll have a first hand experience on mixing 3500C2 and 3200XL modules.

Thanks for the reply, RAM Guy! :beer:

I have an NF7-S ver. 2 with 2500amd @2200. My problem is I have two dimms (256 x2) of the pc3500 memory and need to upgrade 512 more. But there is the above mentioned problem, no more Corsair 433DDR. I was going to use the 400 DDR Corsair memory but was worried about compatibility. The 512 would be in dimm 3 and the 2x256 in dimm 1 and 2 for even dual channel support. If Corsair memory is not compatible would the 433 Geil or Kingston be? I probably will not be o/c much over 400 FSB.

Thanks in advance.

Mixing mem is not recommended in any case! Having said that, if the 3500 from another manufacturer uses THE SAME ICs, then it may have an easier time working together than a different speed rated module with a different IC, however there is still the fact that they are designed differently, and may not work together at all.

It's pretty much a coin toss.

I have an NF7-S ver. 2 with 2500amd @2200. My problem is I have two dimms (256 x2) of the pc3500 memory and need to upgrade 512 more. But there is the above mentioned problem, no more Corsair 433DDR. I was going to use the 400 DDR Corsair memory but was worried about compatibility. The 512 would be in dimm 3 and the 2x256 in dimm 1 and 2 for even dual channel support. If Corsair memory is not compatible would the 433 Geil or Kingston be? I probably will not be o/c much over 400 FSB.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you can alway sell 3500C2 to me, just name the price :)

• Corsair Employee

They would make that system scream and you might try these settings FYI:

CPU Freq: 133 MHz

Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts

Memory Freq: 125%

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

I am sorry we do not allow buying and or selling of hardware on the forum! Please see the forum rules!

Sorry, I know the rules, I was just kidding. That's why I put :) in the end. :)

Tell me, is there some major difference between normal and Pro 3200XL modules beside LEDs and bigger heatspreader?

Corsair VS1GBKIT400 1GB Kit DDR400 PC3200 CAS2.5 Value Select Memory for $152.00 at Zipzoomfly. This is what I may purchase as money is tight due to purchasing BFG 6800 GT O/C. Due you feel that this memory will be acceptable and improve my video editing over the pc3500 512mg. Do you feel that the improvement would be worth the money. My son plays a lot of sports therefore I do a lot of video editing. On the same hand I play a lot of games online (MOHAA, UT2003, UT2004) and single play Doom3. If I cannot get at least a 25% improvement in my editing then I will not upgrade to 1gig mem.

Model : AMD Athlon(2500)@2200mhz

Mainboard : Abit NF7-S v2

Memory : 512MB Corsair DDR433 PC3500 XMS Memory

Video Card: BFG GeForce 6800 GT OC

Hard Disk : WDC 60gig

Hard Disk : WDC 80gig

Hard Disk : SiI RAID 0 Set 0 SCSI Disk 240 gig

CD-ROM/DVD : LITE-ON LTR-48246S

CD-ROM/DVD : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-106D

Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Professional

Ok, I managed to get my greedy paws on two 256 Mb sticks of PC3500C2 (thanks to my l33t negotiation/Ferengi skillzzz :D ) and now I have 1 Gb of THE memory.

I had to up the voltage to 2.95V (Is that stll tolerable? ) to have it run stable on 2-2-2-10 @ 440 MHz. Single stick runs on these settings on 2.85V.

Just bought this memory a few minutes ago from Zipzoomfly. Already have a buyer for my pc3500 2x256. Guy said he will give me $150, he wants it bad!

I believe this 2x512 memory will improve my video editing and hopefully my gaming as this computer is used as a server frequently. My son is playing soccer now, next is basketball, then baseball, then more soccer. You can tell editing video is a large part of my life and shaving off a few minutes (hopefully) will help me alot.

Thanks Ram Guy, I'll let you know how it works out.

• Corsair Employee
Well our Value select is a good value so don’t get me wrong, but I would encourage you to consider Twinx1024-3200XL instead as they would have better performance! And going from our XMS3500C2 to Value select may be too much of a down step for you!

Well I put my Pc3500 in my son's computer and put the 1gig VS 2.5@2 cas in mine. I left his FSB at 133 and put the memory @ 400. Made that little 1800+ scream. I'll try some other changes to it later, already had to clear his cmos a dozen times :laughing: Time demo in doom3 is 2x what it was with Ti4200 (o/ced)and the mixture of Kingston Value ram and the Crucial VR. The VS 2.5 knocked about 1 fps off of mine in doom3 demo put so far I am pleased :):

Well, I've clocked (1x512+2x256, all with different part/batch numbers) 3500c2 @ 440 MHz, 2-2-2-10 timings, 2.95V (seems my mobo undervolts somewhat) and all I can say that I hit the ceiling with my AN7 mobo at 220 MHz FSB, and the memory still wants more.

Damn, I wish Winbond was still making those BH5 chips...

Archived