Corsair Community

Rampage 4 extreme with dominator platinum?!

s1lenc3r

HI everyone i just bought 2 sets of Dominator® Platinum with Corsair Link Connector — 1.65V 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CMD16GX3M4A2400C9) 32GB total to use with on my asus rampage 4 extreme. did i totaly screw up!? cause i only learned about the memory finder on the site and it doesnt list any of the dominator platinum series as compatible>.< also i only just noticed that my mobo is quad channel architecture and the platinums are dual channel! such a noob! :(:

Please help me, stressing out here. did i do wrong or am i okay?!

They would be compatible, however they are 1.65v kits and and your CPU is only supposed to use 1.5v memory.

Also mixing/combining two kits even if they are the same part number is not suggested or supported by Corsair because of the various issues that could come from it. You really should have bought a matched 32 gig set instead of two 16's.

One other thing to keep in mind is that 2400mhz may or may not be attainable with your CPU. It has a max supported frequency of 1600mhz. I have seen some of the Ivy's run 2400mhz and some struggle reaching 2133mhz

Basically the Dominator Platinums are enthusiast modules that require 1.65v to reach their rated speeds which may void your CPU's warranty. If you are the type who doesn't care much about warranties you can use them, just get a matched 32 gig set instead of 2x 16gig's

Basically i am building 2 rigs 1 for me and my brother and right now we are stuck on the memory.

RIG 1

Mobo: Asus Rampage 4 Extreme

Memory: ?

CPU: 3930K

CPU Cooling: Corsair H80

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

VGA: Asus GTX 690

Rig 2

Mobo: Asus P9X79 DELUXE

Memory: ?

CPU: 3930K

CPU Cooling: Corsair H100

PSU: Corsair AX850

VGA: Asus GTX 680

And as mentioned above i purchased 2 sets of CMD16GX3M4A2400C9 intended for rig number 1. i can still return it so please help me out>.<

• 3 weeks later...
I have the same kit of platinum 2400c9 and running fine with the xmp profile at 2400, no problem at all. 16GB in quad channel in my rampage iv extreme.

I'm not saying it can't be done . Some CPU's overclock great. But there have been more than a few users having trouble getting much over 2133mhz. I was just being conservative for stability sake.

Besides, your not going to notice any difference between the two without a benchmark. And it may equate to a few more FPS in games, but nothing earth shattering .

Archived