Corsair Community

Corsair GS 600W V2 Fan Issues

newsaidin

Hello,

I've bought a new computer this month with the aforementioned PSU.

At first things seemed to work fine and silently - however at a certain point when the computer was under a high load I've noticed a rather loud repetitive noise.

Closer inspection showed the PSU fan to be starting then stopping immediately, as if it could not decide which it wanted to do.

If it does reach full speed there is no noise, but it stop/starts for minutes before settling in.

Yesterday I've managed to catch film this malfunction:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81575382/Corsair/2012-12-11%2023.00.55.mp4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81575382/Corsair/2012-12-11%2023.01.39.mp4

I nearly bit my tongue the first time the fan stopped, as I didn't know that was a feature. Half expected my computer to crash at that stage.

To sum it up:

1. When computer is idle/normal load: no fan, no noise

2. When under very heavy graphic load: fan start/stops intermittently - very noisy, enough to draw my attention over the sound of a shooting game

3. When under heavy load and fan is underway: no noise. rarely remains in this state for long.

As this is a new PSU in a new computer I'd rather not to have to shut it down for a long period.

What should I do?

To sum it up:

2. When under very heavy graphic load: fan start/stops intermittently - very noisy, enough to draw my attention over the sound of a shooting game

3. When under heavy load and fan is underway: no noise. rarely remains in this state for long.

This is actually normal function, however the noise should not be so loud that you can hear it over the rest of your system.

I would wait until RamGuy sees this, they may want to replace it under RMA.

If so , you can always call CS and ask for an advanced RMA and continue to use your system until the new PSU arrives.

• Corsair Employees
That is normal for the fan to start and stop as needed to keep the PSU cool as previously mentioned but if its so loud you can hear it other the other fan noise we can replace it under an RMA. Please use the link on the left and request an RMA.

• 1 month later...

Dear RAM GUY,

I've opened up an RMA case, then proceeded to request an advanced RMA case.

The request was approved and I've collected the package today.

However, once I've opened the package I found to my surprise a Corsair CX600 rather than a Corsair GS600 V2!

What do i do now?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81575382/PSU.jpg

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry about that and I am sure it was just a mistake. I have sent our customer service a message for you and asked them to contact you or you can call them by phone if you like. You can call the toll free number listed under contact on the main site

I understand that mistakes happen, and I hope they will sort this out soon.

They've advised me to send the defective PSU to them immediately, and I've just emailed them again explaining I can't send my original PSU before I get the right replacement without decommissioning my computer, and asked that the hold on my card be extended to match the new delivery times.

After all that is the reasoning behind an advanced RMA.

I have, thank you.

A new PSU had been shipped - the part number seems to match this time,

And I've recieved a UPS label to send both PSUs back. Although the estimated weight of the label seems to be off 4kgs instead of 6kgs which is the combined weight of these two PSUs.

I've noted that to the tech support i've been talking with, asking him to clarify what to do and if UPS would accept the delivery.

recent UPDATE:

I have recieved the replacement PSU, and installed it. Hadnt had a chance to test it with any games but it's working.

I've repacked the GS600 back into the same package, attached the package with CX600 to it, and ordered a collection by UPS, with the shipment label attached.

UPS just contacted me and informed me of an issue to be resolved, since these are two

attached packages:

1) UPS will pack both packages into a bigger container, the UPS Worldwide Express 25KG package, billing by volume apperantly.

2) If two shipping labels will be Provided, the attached packages will be shipped with no extra costs.

The second option seems best to me. I've contacted tech support in the RMA messaging, and asked them to generate two UPS labels : "1 of 2" and "2 of 2".

The package is currently at UPS, I'm waiting for their reply to see how to continue.

• 5 months later...
Hello,

I've bought a new computer this month with the aforementioned PSU.

At first things seemed to work fine and silently - however at a certain point when the computer was under a high load I've noticed a rather loud repetitive noise.

Closer inspection showed the PSU fan to be starting then stopping immediately, as if it could not decide which it wanted to do.

If it does reach full speed there is no noise, but it stop/starts for minutes before settling in.

Yesterday I've managed to catch film this malfunction:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81575382/Corsair/2012-12-11%2023.00.55.mp4

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/81575382/Corsair/2012-12-11%2023.01.39.mp4

I nearly bit my tongue the first time the fan stopped, as I didn't know that was a feature. Half expected my computer to crash at that stage.

To sum it up:

As this is a new PSU in a new computer I'd rather not to have to shut it down for a long period.

What should I do?

Hi,

It looks like the RAM guys have looked after you very well, I'm very impressed by the service here!

I have the exact same issue with my Corsair GS 600w PSU. (I don't know if the V2 in your model name is anything different, but I can check)

I bought a new PC, custom made, I got lazy and decided someone lose can do it for me now. From a well astablist UK PC parts company's website.

I have mentioned this to them and they have suggested sending the entire unit back (that's the whole PC)

If I could do what the above customer has done then this would be really great!!!!:biggrin:

Anyways I have the exact same three stages as the above has;

No fan on

Fan on and off constantly (this is under graphics us, and generally that's what I use my PC for)

And finally, constant on, at a quiet level of noise --> if I seriously try so so hard, I can really push the PSU so that it stops the on and off switching, and thus stop the stupidly load noise that it makes!

I have only managed to do this say, once or twice at the most.

I bought this PC, and thus the PSU on January 26th so it's still in warranty

Are you able to help me like the lovely man here?

Thank you for your time and effort,

It's really late here in the UK so I'm sorry if some of this doesn't make sense...

Archived