Corsair Community

Sierra2Service Crashing and causing Input Lag

Lite

When I first boot my machine, things are fine. After a while the mouse starts lagging, then the keyboard starts lagging, then I open up Task Manager yadda to see what's bogging my system down.Z

Every time it's Sierra2Service using between 3% and 25% CPU time while hammering the hell out of my dual Corsair Force 3 SSDs. I can usually just kill the service and my machine goes back to normal. Except for those times when Sierra2Service's DLL crashes, and then I have to completely reboot my machine.

I bought the H80i because it had great reviews. If I'd known it's own monitoring software was so flaky I'm pretty sure I'd have passed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Wow, it's now been a month since I posted this... Still no fix or update. Only, at this point I can't even return the damn thing. Looks like I'm just going to have to pull it out and use it for a doorstop or something.

I likes my H80i cooler but I am a very finicky person when it comes to what software I allow on my computer. as I like my Pc to run smooth and neat with no clutter in other words no PORK.

This Sierra software is yes taking quite a little bit of resources and I see it is like 2 one for the GPU and one EXE 32.

Can Corsair explain what exactly is the function to this and is it absolutely necessary?

The first thing I do when I boot my rig is shut down those services. This is on an Ivy-Bridge i5, 16 gig of ram, and dual 550 GB/s (striped) HDs...

However, if you're not running the software, you wouldn't know if the pump failed...

This is an EASY problem to get around.

First understand that Sierra2service is needed for the dashboard to work properly, but is NOT needed when the dashboard is closed.

Second understand that Sierra2.gpu.exe is only needed to monitor the temps and fans on your GPU. But there are other programs that do it just as well when you are interested.

Third, Go into Computer Management/Services, and change Sierra2service to "manual" startup. Only start it when you open the Dashboard. Stop the service when you are done with the dashboard. All of your settings will still be in effect.

Fourth, Go into the task scheduler and DISABLE the task for Sierra2.gpu.exe

After doing the above, Corsair's software will not be accessing your hdd every second, nor using excess CPU time. There may also be a memory leak too, if left on.

I have been doing this since I installed the Corsair Link Software, and can still control my H80i just fine, with none of the drawbacks. ;):

I also believe any of the monitoring software, that does what the Corsair link does, will work pretty much the same (accessing the hdd and using CPU time excessively.)

@Lite: If you use Hwinfo you can monitor the pump without the Dashboard. If monitors the speed of the pump if you have it plugged into the CPU fan header (as is supposed to done)

So, your solution is disable the software instead of telling the manufacturer to fix it? :)

I already disable it, I didn't take the easy route out so I could keep prodding Corsair to fix their software. That's just passing the buck until the next person reports this issue.

I don't think there is actually a problem with the Corsair Link software, I just think it needs to be tweaked per user preference. But that is only because I don't leave the services running in the background. If there is a memory leak, which your situation may indicate, then that does need attention. However, it is common to this sort of monitoring software. I had to remove Asus AI Suite II which monitored everything on my mobo for the same reasons.

• 1 month later...

I have a similar problem.

There is apparently a memory leak in sierra2service.exe since where my machine is running over weekend all 8Gb of memory is occupied. However, task manager is not showing that it is sierra2service or sierraGPU consuming such memory. The only solution to make the memory accessible again is to stop the service, kill sierraGPU process and kill sierra2service process. After this sierra2service is not killed but start to use fully one processor core over several hours, releasing progressively the memory. This process is very slow and takes 6-8hours to make free 6Gb of memory.

The other solution I found is to not run the sierra service (not a process) from the beginning. However, the corsair link dashboard do not see the fans speed or temperature. In this case all programmed behavior in function of temperature is not working.

There is maybe a new version of Corsair Link foreseen in the near future ?

After some debugging of sierraservice ive found multiple memory leaks in the service which creates about 100 handles or so every thirty seconds. after awhile it will eat up you virtual memory and start writing to disk hence the constant thrashing. once it eats up memory it will crash. proper garbage collection is needed in the service to make it stable. wish i had the source code to fix it.

they need to find out where in memory the variable is being stored and why its not being dumped allot of times within the dotnet framework static variables are to blame for the memory leaks.

Archived