Corsair Community

EVGA X79 SLi Memory Confusion

Anti-Skub

I'm trying to find memory for my new board but I'm a little confused about what would be most suitable. I've tried to look around but I can't find anything conclusive, and this thread here makes me think I'm missing something.

http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95332

Ramguy, you seem to be saying Vengeance is better for certain setups but I'm pretty unclear as to why. I'm using a 3820 Sandybridge-E on an x79, is Vengeance still the way to go? Someone asked the same question in that thread but it wasn't really answered. Assuming the answer is yes, would the CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R Vengenace be a better choice than the CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 Dominator?

Lastly, I'm trying to get all my parts from the same shop as I have used them before and they are always good on delivery and support but they don't have the CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R (which are the modules on the support list) the closest they've got is CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11R. Is that a no go?

The Vengeance series was made and tested for the Sandy/Ivybridge CPU's soyes, any of the Vengeance quad kits would be just fine.

, would the CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R Vengenace be a better choice than the CMP16GX3M4X1866C9 Dominator?

It really wouldn't matter. They are both 1866 cl9 parts @ 1.5v. So there would be no noticeable difference. The dominator may provide slightly better overclocking results if you decided to push them past 1866mhz.

Lastly, I'm trying to get all my parts from the same shop as I have used them before and they are always good on delivery and support but they don't have the CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R (which are the modules on the support list) the closest they've got is CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11R. Is that a no go?

They would still be compatible, however your memory controller in your CPU officially supports a max frequency of 1600mhz. So anything above that is a bonus It would depend heavily on the strength or weakness of memory controller if you would be able to run them at 2133mhz.

Most x79 boards and CPU's will run 2133mhz memory pretty easily, but there is always the chance they won't also.

Worst case scenario is that you might have to back them down to 1866mhz.

Archived