Corsair Community

GS 700 possible dud

wizardofid

First just want to greet all members first, and say hello out of sunny South Africa. :)

The reason I find my self here:

I recently purchased a new GS700, about two weeks ago.From reviews an awesome little PSU.Amp rating is different on mine compared to reviews, reviews say 56 amps but mine says 58 amps, not sure if it's a revision or what.

In the last week, I had been having problems with my gpu flickering, at first I suspected a problem with the DVI port.On closer inspection and research it seems to be a problem with the PSU not supplying enough power.

I know software monitoring, is hardly accurate. But I have used hwinfo64, to test out if there is any sort of abnormal jumping on the 12volt rail.During normal idle 12.024 and on demanding games 11.88 I know this is well still in range.Considering the amount of hardware connected it seems a little odd that it would go that low, and that it is fairly new.

The flickering persisted till a point where my screen would just go blank, and was forced depress the power button to switch it off.However last night it refused to post.So the did obvious troubleshooting checking cables, re-seating the GPU. Nothing, still refused to post.

After removing the card and moving it to the second PCIe slot x4 did it boot fine slot uses slightly less power.Of course I tested the card in another system to confirm it is not a GPU problem works perfectly fine with a 480watt PSU I had in there.Now it simply refuses to boot with the card connected altogether.

Currently running on the CPU IGP, and the rail reading is 12.168, running prime95 lets it drop to 12.096.I know software isn't particularly accurate give or take a few 0. volts.

But dropping below 12.0volt has me concerned and the fact that the gpu refuses to boot now, which points to the psu which possibly degraded to a point where it is not supplying enough power, this has me concerned as I don't even exceed the rail max.As such I have used both the PCIe 6 pin cables and as such haven't yet tested removing one cable and using a 2 x 4 pin molex to 6 pin convertor to see if it remedies the problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried another dedicated card in your system?

It sounds more like dead PCI slots than it does the PSU.

Your voltages are all completely normal even under load and at the low of 11.88. 11.4 is lowest spec, and your not anywhere near tha and that certainly wouldn't case your GPU to not work because of lack of power. And your voltages will fluctuate...all completely normal!

I would try another GPU in both Mb slots before hanging the PSU!

After removing the card and moving it to the second PCIe slot x4 did it boot fine slot uses slightly less power.Of course I tested the card in another system to confirm it is not a GPU problem works perfectly fine with a 480watt PSU I had in there.Now it simply refuses to boot with the card connected altogether.

This is what leas me to believe it's your MB. Your MB regulates those voltages, not the PSU

actually have I have placed the card back in the, x16 slot.Booted fine, did however remove the one pcie cabled and replaced it with 2x molex convertor, just in case, this is not ideal, but will switch back to standard pcie cable to confirm.Down clocked the GPU since it's a XXX edition to reference clocks.Ran rage for a good while no issues.

Yeah like I said know 11.88 it is still well in spec only did monitoring to confirm if there are any issues, will start adding system components again.Just find it weird completely weird.

thanks any ways for the heads, except for the noise of the fan, which doesn't really bug me, actually very happy with it.

I will perhaps look into flashing the GPU as I already flashed the MB.

Archived