Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Issue (tuning/running)

Rogueraven

Hello I just upgraded my memory from another brand to Corsair model mentioned however I can't seem to get it to run at 1866 without issue.

At the moment I have it setup and running at 1600mhz, but if I set it to run at 1866 it will either detect only 12GB of the 16GB If VRM Spread Spectrum is disabled or if VRM is Enabled it will detect the full 16GB but during gaming I just get random Crash to Desktop on multiple games, no errors no warnings.

Little bit more detail my Bios Version is 1604 x64 Settings as follows

CPU Speed 3600mhz

Memory Freq 1600mhz

NB Freq 2000mhz

Ht Link 2600mhz

Cas Latency 9

Ras to Cas Delay 10

Ras Pre Time 9

Ras ACT Time 27

Read to Pre 7

Ras to Ras Delay 7

Write to Read Delay 7

Cas Write Latency 9

Write Recovery Time 14

Ref Cycle Time 160ns

Row Cycle Time 48

Read to Write Delay 7

Write to Read Delay (DD) 4

Write to Write Timing 5

Read to Read Timing 5

Refreash Rate Every 7.8ms

Command Rate 2T

Dram Driving Control

Both DCT0 and DCT1 (All Auto)

Dram Voltage 1.500v (1.503v)

If anyone can help please, Thanks

Just try a slight bump in DIMM voltage. Set them to 1.55v or even 1.6 if need be If that does not work add.2v to the CPU/NB voltage (section3.12 in your manual.

You may also be running up against AMD memory controller limitations that state a MB with 4 available slot , that has two populated is limited to 1600mhz with an FX series CPU

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110428

Thanks for the quick response I will try these tomorrow morning, interesting information that. you would think you would find it on the side of the box for the motherboard.

It's more CPU related than MB. That board will accept a wide variety of CPU's and each one will have different memory controller limitations based on the CPU.

Please do not take this next comment the wrong way and is no way directed towards you. But, up until the last few years building computers was something left to the computer shops and they would know what the limitations are and what components will do what.

I dunno, my first build I was scared to death to push the power button, and that was even after months of research before I did anything. But thats the OCD in me, I have to research things like that because I just hate to have to re-do something or worse ...find out it was my own stupidity!:eek::p:

Now, building systems is more mainstream and there are more first time builders than ever .(which personally I think is great. It only helps drive the aftermarket and performance parts!) The only problem is that we see video's on you-tube or copy what the other person has without knowing exactly how things work or taking the time to find out exactly what it actually took to accomplish. I can't tell you how many posts show up starting with "I built my own system, but I have never been in a BIOS before"? That's the most important part you need to know!

The component manufacturers do not take things like this into account and still print instructions or specs aimed more at the professional or the more advanced builders. So you would really not see these " limitations" printed anywhere.. Same goes with the CPU's...That link I gave you is from AMD's site and unless you were looking for it, or someone pointed you towards it, you would have never known it existed. It sure isn't printed on or in the CPU box or manual.

As i said this, this is just a generalization and purely my own opinion..with a little fact thrown in there! So please don't think i was picking on you at all! " Sorry I got a little long in the tooth there too!;):

Those settings did not not work either individually or together however, together they dropped memory back to 12GB, guessing we are bouncing off the limitations of my CPU. its no problem thou, I only had 4GB of the old brand in 2x2GB sticks and wanted to upgrade to 16gb so either way I would have still needed to buy 4 sticks. 4 sticks of the other brand at 1600 was the same price as the corsair at 1866.

Bout your other post I do not see you've targeted me at all just highlighted the importance of research, I used to build computers many years back I had a NVQ lvl4 in installation and support of IT systems, one of the criteria's for the NVQ from lvl2 and above is to maintain familiarization with the industry, which is basicly just that research.

however my career went a different path and I stopped building my own PC's so have lost alot of the research and understanding that comes with that.

Reason why I said that sort of information should be on the box is basicly, I think there is potentional mis-selling going on with the motherboards how can a motherboard support 1866 or either higher in my case if its restricted by the CPU thats attached to its socket.

Please excuse my grammar I don't have word installed yet :)

Reason why I said that sort of information should be on the box is basicly, I think there is potentional mis-selling going on with the motherboards how can a motherboard support 1866 or either higher in my case if its restricted by the CPU thats attached to its socket

It allows for overclocking which can in most cases void a CPU warranty. But that's up to the individual user if they want to make that choice . There are alot of people (like me ) who don't really care about warranties. The extra performance i can squeeze out of my system out weighs the potential for failure or the risk of voiding such warranties.

Thats why on most MB specs you'll see support for 1333/1600/1866(oc) 2133(oc). just for EX. The "OC would note that those speeds are supported through overclocking only.

Most users just want something that is going to be plug and play and stable! :)

But back to the issue at hand. Memory mis-detection can be caused by a number of things. Uneven pressure on the CPU socket. So maybe reinstalling your CPU cooler might be a good idea.

Also test each of your memory sticks in the same slot with metest86+v 4.20(there is a link on the left) to be sure you do not have a failing module. If they all pass in the first slot, then take a stick that passed and test each of the other slots. It may be just a bad MB too, but lets see how memtest works out first.

From what you have described doesn't sound like your bouncing off of CPU limitations. Speed yes, capacity , no. So we need to figure out why your randomly showing 12-16 gig. I suggested the voltage bump first because alot of times that will help with that. But since it didn't, that would suggest some other issue. If the sticks all pass memtest, then i would consider contacting the Mb manufacturer.

Hiya Sorry been busy today. I did check one thing thou, setup the memory so it mis-detected and looked under Spd information on the individual slots in bios, all memory on its individual slots was recorded correctly as 4GB each.

Will have to run the memory tests tomorrow, I not experiencing anything that could warrent faulty memory under 1600mhz conditions however best to be safe then sorry.

CPU/Heatsink I got a issue with doing that at the moment, no heatsink compound, wouldn't like to disturb the seal without having fresh compound to put back. I will say one thing thou I get steady temps on speedfan and PC Probe between 28 and 33 (Idle) depending on room temp I've never seen it go higher than 45 underloadHeatsink/fan Freezer A30.

Anyhow will do memory test tomorrow

Will have to run the memory tests tomorrow, I not experiencing anything that could warrent faulty memory under 1600mhz conditions however best to be safe then sorry.

Thats up to you...I understand it's time consuming but taking just one of those sticks and using it to test the other slots in the MB may reveal a bad slot in the MB which could also be a reason for mis-detection.

CPU/Heatsink I got a issue with doing that at the moment, no heatsink compound, wouldn't like to disturb the seal without having fresh compound to put back. I will say one thing thou I get steady temps on speedfan and PC Probe between 28 and 33 (Idle) depending on room temp I've never seen it go higher than 45 underloadHeatsink/fan Freezer A30.

It can cool perfect and still be have uneven pressure on the CPU/socket. My old X58 board with a CM V-8 cooler would have to be reseated about every three months. Just from the weight of the cooler over time would do the same thing. I eventually found that tightening the top two first and snugging them down just little more fixed it. I ended up just RMA ing the board (another reason I went to water cooling)Like i said it may or may not be the issue, just trying to cover all the troubleshooting steps that I know of.

You also at any time have the option to just ask for an RMA by using the link on the left to request an RMA. But I'm just not convinced you have memory issues.

Heres what I think...If it is stable and detects all 16 gig's at 1600mhz,then i believe you are running into the AMD limitations.

If not ,I think the Mb is faulty. I would really like to figure out which part is bad but without having another kit to test with or another system to test your memory with is going to be hard to pinpoint.

You wouldn't by any chance have or have access to another computer to test this kit with. A buddy or colleague? That would tell you pretty quick where the problem is.

Going to do the memory test this morning just to be safe, like I said I can't do the headsink without the compound I can't get out until the weekend to pick some up at IT store.

I have another machine but its a AMD Phenom xII 550 on a M4A77TD, only supports memory at 1333mhz and upto 1800mhz (OCed)

It's almost certainly the AMD memory controller on the CPU. With 4 modules, 1866 is VERY hard to do on AMD rigs. If it's stable @ 1600, my suggestion is to leave it there and enjoy the system.

Hey Yelllowbeard, It's not so much running at 1866mhz as it is memory mis-detection. Sometimes showing 12 gigs and sometime showing 16 gig's .I wouldn't think it would be AMD's limitations in this case ,would it?

I do agree if it is stable and detects all 16 gig's at 1600mhz to leave it alone,but thats not the case. He's getting crashes and other issues at 1600mhz too. It just doesn't add up unless there is an issue with the MB. All four stcks pass memtest v4,20 but fail in the Beta5.0. So that tell me there is a problem with the Beta version. If one stickfailed, but theyall failed that version. So I don't trust it.!

At the moment I have it setup and running at 1600mhz, but if I set it to run at 1866 it will either detect only 12GB of the 16GB If VRM Spread Spectrum is disabled or if VRM is Enabled it will detect the full 16GB but during gaming I just get random Crash to Desktop on multiple games, no errors no warnings.

Have you checked your event logs? Maybe a driver conflict?

Also, RAM GUY POSTED A STICKY on this in this forum section that exactly covers all of this.

I posted that earlier in this thread and pointed that out to the OP. But again it's the other anomalies that are showing up that has me thinking towards the MB. I also saw that he was using two separate kits which could also cause the reduction in speed, but i haven't seen a case of mixing kits that caused mis-detection issues though.

oing to do the memory test this morning just to be safe, like I said I can't do the headsink without the compound I can't get out until the weekend to pick some up at IT store.

I have another machine but its a AMD Phenom xII 550 on a M4A77TD, only supports memory at 1333mhz and upto 1800mhz (OCed)

Just test each stick in the first slot individually and you only have to run it through one pass if you want. I bet they all pass on that machine. Even run them all together for one pass. The M4A77TD will take 16 gigs. So why not test them all?

Oops some mis-interpretation I think, not getting any issues at 1600mhz everything seems to run fine at 1600mhz. Its only when I clock at 1866mhz do I get issues. I get CTD's with games (Thats 3 different games) at 1866mhz, only when VRM Spread Spectrum is set to disabled in bios and the memory is clocked at 1866mhz does it only detect 12GB however in Spd Information it detects each dimm slot correctly as 4096mb 1866mhz Corsair.

It also only detected 12Gb when I applied your voltage settings at 1866mhz.

anyhow I ran each stick for 1 hour each in memtest today 1 whole pass no errors, Will plug in 1 fixed stick tomorrow and rotate the other 3 over the 2 dimm configuration slot and run each for an hour, Then will more than likely run all 4 for the a longer period if all checks out ok.

After reading the information you've provided I actually do think I'm bouncing off the limitations of my CPU.

Oops some mis-interpretation I think, not getting any issues at 1600mhz everything seems to run fine at 1600mhz. Its only when I clock at 1866mhz do I get issues. I get CTD's with games (Thats 3 different games) at 1866mhz, only when VRM Spread Spectrum is set to disabled in bios and the memory is clocked at 1866mhz does it only detect 12GB however in Spd Information it detects each dimm slot correctly as 4096mb 1866mhz Corsair.

It also only detected 12Gb when I applied your voltage settings at 1866mhz.

Yup, I sure did mis interprit that. If you are stable at 1600mmhz, then i do agree with Yellowbeard and your conclusion. It has to be memory controller limitations.

Since you have already tested them and they all pass, I would safely say you really don't have to run memtest anymore if you don't want to. But thats up to you if you want to continue.

I think its safe if I did run memory test given they are new sticks, it was good advice and is good practice just to play it safe so I will run the remaining tests just for peace of mind :)

Will look into the heatsink issue, I've not been so keen on the Freezer A30 since I got it the cooling is fine just the fixing's could be improved. I was tempted to pickup a new cpu after christmas so maybe new heatsink will also happen.

anyway thanks for the advice and quick response, I will research more in future.

Archived