Corsair Community

ReadyBoost on CMFVYGT3A-32GB U3

More Terrabytes

Or at least that's what the place I bought it calls it.

I'm currently using an older 16GB Corsair USB 2.0 drive as a ReadyBoost, and all is well, but I wanted to upgrade it to a faster one, so I purchased a CMFVYGT3A-32GB U3 (That's the code on the receipt. I didn't purchase it direct from Corsair). I know this is a USB 3.0, but it's supposed to be relatively fast even when used in a USB 2.0 slot, so I wanted to use it in a USB 2.0 slot. There is no more space on my motherboard for a USB 3.0 card, so I'm stuck with USB 2.0.

I reformatted it to NTFS at 4096 allocation unit size. Then I went to the properties and clicked on the ReadyBoost tab. I got a message saying, "This device cannot be used for ReadyBoost. The device does not have the required performance characteristics for use in speeding up your system." I tried it in a couple of different USB plugs, and I reformatted it again, but still the same thing.

The slower, older USB memory does have the required performance characteristics.

So, is this true? Does this new USB memory not work for ReadyBoost? If not, I don't need to return it or replace it, I can use it for other things, but I was hoping for a nice fast ReadyBoost.

Wow. It worked! Thanks! I did that exact thing when I tried the first time to make it ReadyBoost, even trying retesting in different USB plugs, including a plug that had no other things plugged into that USB controller (or hub, or whatever it's called). Maybe the computer had to be rebooted after reformatting the drive to NTFS and then making it ReadyBoost.

Situation resolved.

Archived