Corsair Community

Neutron GTX 120GB disappears mid-use

rtslater

Can't find anything specific to this problem online, although seen something similar reported across lots of SSDs.

Fresh build PC about a month ago based on Gigabyte F2A85XM-D3H and A10 processor. Using a 120GB Neutron GTX for the OS and programs, and a 3TB HDD for media storage. OS is Windows 8 Pro with Media Center.

About a week after installation and everything running fine, Windows froze up mid browsing internet, went to one of the new BSODs, then finally restarted itself. On restart, the SSD was NOT visible to the BIOS, and seemed to have completely shut itself down. So I'm guessing that's what caused Windows to BSOD.

Left it for 5 minutes, powered back on, and the SSD was now visible again to the BIOS, but Windows wouldn't boot, went to the automatic repair facility.

Popped the disk into another PC, and the file system and everything seemed to be completely intact, was able to recover all documents stored on it, just wouldn't get past automatic repair if booting from it. So gave up, wrote it off as a one-off glitch and fresh reinstalled.

Two weeks later exactly the same thing happens, except this time the automatic recovery managed to put a restore point back in place. So not a one-off.

Any thoughts? Do I need to RMA? Thanks.

Latest BIOS?

Have you tried a different SATA data cable and motherboard SATA port?

Check your power settings

Did you secure erase the drive with Parted magic before reinstalling Windows?

If not, I would try that and see if it works better. If the same thing happens, request an RMA to replace the drive.

Latest BIOS?

Have you tried a different SATA data cable and motherboard SATA port?

Check your power settings

Did you secure erase the drive with Parted magic before reinstalling Windows?

If not, I would try that and see if it works better. If the same thing happens, request an RMA to replace the drive.

1. Fairly new motherboard - stock BIOS is the only release to-date. But could definitely be a problem with that for all I know.

2. Tried a different port with the same cable after the first time - currently using a different cable in the original port, and see how that goes.

3. What power settings are there to check? I'm using a CX430, and one of the two 3-way SATA power cables is powering both the SSD and HDD (the other cable goes elsewhere to optical).

4. I went with the Quick Format option in the reinstall - my understanding was that's best for a SSD, as it should TRIM the lot. Either way though, I don't think it's this, I'm not experiencing any kind of poor performance, just complete failure at very infrequent intervals. And it wouldn't explain the first failure.

Thanks

Archived