Corsair Community

Link crashing too often

tcn1

Hi,

Sierra services are constantly crashing. SierraGPU is crashing randomly (with dual GPU, it does not report all temperatures; I have Radeon & Nvidia).

Sierra crashes too often when coming back from sleep mode; have to stop service and start it again in order to have it work properly. It is annoying as I have a 3000RPM fan that stays at 100% all the time until the Link finally answers.

When this happens, all fans are 100%, Link reports all RPMs but can't control them. I am on the latest firmwares and 2.2.0 software.

tcn1

Please list the Commander Unit firmware and other connected devices and firmware e.g. Cooling Node, Hydro series coolers, etc.

What fan do you have running at 3000RPM?

Note the Max load you can put on one fan header is 2.0 Amps and Max total of 4 Amps for the unit.

Hi Toasted,

Sorry, I was in a hurry and pissed so I kinda jumped over formalities.

System is an heavily overclocked Q8550s with hybrid videocard setup (AMD crossfire + dedicated PhysX nVidia).

Here is what I have connected to the Link:

- H80 with replaced fans (stock ones were too loud; I think new version of the H80 has new and improved fans... The fans are Noctua NFP-14; might change them for the new NFA-14 which would be 20% less power hungry).

- 3 800RPM 20cm fans (stock Coolermaster HAF)

- Northbridge FAN (GELID Silent 8TC)

- Southbridge (small 40x40x20 fan, 3000RPM max)

- stock temperature sensors (3)

Eveything works smooth when Link is ok. The link becomes unresponsive usually after a wake up from sleep.

When Link becomes irresponsive, the graphical interface shows sometimes good values but most of the time unconnected fans and sensors (glowing red on the GUI).

Quick fix: stop Sierra2Service, kill GUI, restart Sierra2Service and restart GUI.

Sierra2GPU usually dies on its own; I'm not sure what this one does, sensor only? I usually only get temperature of a single GPU of my Crossfire, sometime I get the other one but at 0 degree celsius.

Note to Corsair's support: if it can help you guys to stabilize the Link, I am willing to test betas on my system.

This morning not even a kill and restart did the job; I had to put it back to sleep and wake it up in order for the Link to be working again.

Regards,

tcn1

I could remove one nVidia but can't do anything about the Radeons; it's a dual GPU card.

I also have to recap on the Link responsiveness. Very often, after a system waske-up, the 3000 RPM fan stays very high (2800RPM) but the Link reports it at 1400RPM. I can see that the Link does not always report this fan's speed accurately.

When this happens, I have to put the system back to sleep and wake it up.

As for different USB header, no, I haven't tried that. I don't know why they would be different... When I get a chance, I'll try this out. But I think the Link is not restarting properly.

There is always power on the USB headers when alseep. What do the Link do when there is power on the USB but everything is powerless......

tcn

As I said earlier, the cooling node is to the latest firmware (1.2.5) and it can control the fan; it does it pretty well when it works.

I think the node has poor control algorithm. Sometimes, it can't stabilize the fan and will just drop it down to zero and bring it back up to max to try to lower it, drop to zero etc etc etc. This also happens on the H80 fans (well, more on one than the other).

Either the control algorithm is poor or the PWM control still needs tweaking (I know they modified it so it does not vibrate anymore.....)

tcn

Reading the other thread (H80 Fan#1 Speed does not reset) made me try the "Firmware update" to reset the cooling node.

The cooling node does not show in the firmware update software. It does however show in the devices tab of the Link 2.2 software.

Archived