Corsair Community

XMS2 1066Mhz issue

kaanozbek

Hi everyone,

I have 2x XMS2 1066Mhz kit 1x CM2X2048-8500C5C DDR2 1066 ram and 1x CM2X2048-8500C5 DDR2 1066 ram

System configuration:

Abit IX38, Q9550 @3.6Ghz, Ati HD 6850, OCZ XTC2 Ram Cooler, XIGMATEK 700W 80+

FSB 440x8,5

My RAM's running 800 - 960 Mhz frequens max with 5-5-5-15 Why i can not use 1066Mhz.

XMS2 RAM's are default 1066Mhz or 800 - 1066?

Your mixing two differrent kits which is not suggested or supported by Corsair . Even if they were the same exact part number, version number and so , there is no way to predict how any two random kits would work with each other.

I would isolate the two kits and run them individually with memtest to be sure you do not have a failing stick. Load set-up defaults and let boot to memtest letting each kit run for a couple of passes. If you detect an error remove the sticks in that kit and test the sticks individually.

You may also want to see if each kit on their own will run at 1066mhz

If all stick in both kits pass memtest try adding +2v to your NB at 1066mhz this may or may not work

But with two random kits DDR800would be suggested

lol I have the same problem.

2 KITs but one KIT definitly doesn't work with 1066 (same settings)

Version 1.2 with 2.1v works with 1066 (sepeartly)

Version 3.1 with 2.1v don't work 1066 (seperatly)

Is the 3.1 Kit RMA?

This kit runs with 800 fine but not with 1066

Freeze, permanent reboot, winload 0xc0000221 (currupt loaded file)

I tested both kits seperatly on both banks

Together they work with 800 but only 1.2 works with 1066 (alone)

• Corsair Employee

Pferd5

When you installed the Version 3.1 Modules did you load setup defaults and then set the tested settings manually? IE 2.1 Volts at Cas 5-5-5-15 2T CR?

kaanozbek's

With that MB and CPU you would have to set the Memory Frequency at DDR800 when all four slots are filled.

My system runs normal on 'Auto' mode settings.

than I edited to 533/1066 with all 4 modules and it always kind of failed.

than i just tried the 1.2 and 3.1 modules seperatly with only 2.1volt as manuel setting (not yet the timing settings) this always failed with 3.1 installed but always worked with my old modules 1.2.

I don't think loading setup defaults will change anything if my system runs several months without errors with 400/800.

I can check this tomorrow but I think this will be a waste of time.

I read about XMS2 RMAs than you Corsair shiped back 6400 instead of 8500 modules... Is this usual?

Also I don't like it that I have to return the modules first instead of directly shipping a replacement.

• Corsair Employee

The main reason to load setup defaults is that the MB BIOS and any MB BIOS by default will post and try to run the last saved settings. While they are the same basic part and tested at the same basic settings they are indeed manufactured with different different memory IC's and some of the settings that change are chipset based so if you dont want to test them on this MB I would test them on another system that you can load setup defaults.

These settings or chipset settings would not be reset until the MB BIOS is reset or the reset configuration data occurs.

My point is this; we no longer make these modules which you mentioned and the only replacement is a slower part if you still want DDR2. And with what you have posted or stated; before you RMA these modules I would test them on another system before you send them for an RMA.

We have never shipped modules before the failed modules have been received and I am not familiar with anyone doing that except for a very few number of small companies. However, once you have the RMA conformation you can call our customer service by phone and request an advanced RMA with your Credit Card and we can send the replacement before you send the failing modules.

I will check the modules with complete reseted bios. But I guess it will stay the same.

Replace before anything is received is normal procedure in business line as I know as well as replacing the product for the equvilant or better/higher. Especially on required parts (cpu, ram, ssd).

I understand the point but now it becomes complicated. My board supportes up 1333ddr3 (gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P) but you don't have equivalent exchange.

Question now... does corsair exchange all my modules (4x2gb) for ddr3? as I can't mix ddr2 with ddr3 (I guess) but the second ddr2 kit is failing on specied specs that don't match?!

So now I reseted all (fail safe settings)

And put the 3.1 in the banks... this actually worked better! (Didn't guess that!) but I doesn't work well. Windows tries now to boot but aborts with bluescreen or in safe mode with 0x0000221

CL settings where auto (7-7 or something), so not aggressive.

I opend RMA yesterday but haven't received any answer yet.

8GB with at least 1066 speed is only an equivalent exchange. 2x4gb 4x2gb ddr2 ddr3 it doesn't mater - as long as the fit the specs or are better than the product(s) I bought.

Waiting for RMA reply.

• Corsair Employee

If your MB supports DDR3 I would look your system up on our memory configurator and then once you have A few reasonable OPTIONS in mind call our customer service with your RMA# and speak with them about the parts you are interested in. And Yes I would suggest we replace both sets so what ever you get is more closely matched.

What was the case number and I will check that is in the correct phase so you can continue?

RMA: 5368941

No Mail answer received...

Supported RAM : No Corsair listed but I guess this is because of EOL of the product. ... a few month support than comes up the next product and documents won't get updated.

I'm willing to try other corsair models.

I guess CC details are only used/necessary in case of no returning.

My Board is not listed in RMA or any other selectable menu I found on Corsair site or "configurator" or "lear&explore" site.

The board goes up to 1333mhz, I guess this are also old modules but may still in stock.

I found:

CMX4GX3M2A1333C8 (as 8GB Kit)

CMD8GX3M4A1333C7

I guess one of them would be reasonable exchange option.

As I'm using the PC every day for business (yes monday-friday and sometime on weekend) I can't work without RAM.

Could you please handle the returning and sending the new rams before I return the RAM as we discussed here. - I provide CC Informations as long as this is only for saftey reasons in case I wouldn't return the failure RAM.

The Mail clearly says: Please do not reply directly to this e-mail as this address is not monitored.

So summerized. How to trigger the shipment of the new RAM first?

And is Corsair fine with exchange the RAM with one of the 2 options I posted?

If they have already approved your RMA and took your CC information it should only take them a day or so to process the order before it ships.

If you call CS they will provide you with Tracking information. Once you receive the new memory , then you have a specified time period to return the old ones.

I will mail Corsair about this thread. As I'm willing to provide CC for fail-safe case as I need the new modules first. - Unfortunatly this RMA formular has no option for messages?! - So I contact them over mail.

Defective Parts Received on: Defective Parts Not Yet Received

Btw.: <rma@corsairmemory.com>: host smtp.corsair.com[8.25.207.175] said: 550 Rejected

(in reply to RCPT TO command)

this adress is from the first mail!

Used: rma@corsair.com

I'm not native speaking english. Writing is much easier for me than realtime communication. I don't really understand why this has to be done by phone if all facts are already written down. anyway...

Does it matter if the number is for usa and not neatherland as the returning part goes there?

I'm not native speaking english. Writing is much easier for me than realtime communication. I don't really understand why this has to be done by phone if all facts are already written down. anyway...

It because you are requesting an advanced RMA that you need to call. That is the only way they can set those up. It's more or less for credit card security.

Does it matter if the number is for usa and not neatherland as the returning part goes there?

Nope, the only phone nuber they have is for the USA, and they will handle setting up your advance RMA , but you will still ship your defective modules to the Netherlands

Case can be closed. I keep the modules old as the exchange would only be 800Mhz or 1333CL9. they wanted first check with some techical if the 'new' modules work before the ship (understandable - but none can say if new one work as the board isn't maintained from gigabyte), than I waited over 15min in line for some tech-guy who also can't find any more compatibility information. than I decided to hung up close the case for myself.

too much "if" and "what if" for 30e ram alternatives.

Archived