Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 and CML8GX3M1A1600C10 - no XMP Profile 2 in UEFI

Mr Eddy

Hi,

I am wondering why I don't get the option of a 2nd XMP Profile in my UEFI.

Here is my setup:

GA-Z77X-UD5H

I7-3770K

First I had a kit of 2x8Go ( CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 ), but after a few weeks, one of the two sticks generated boot failure. It has been replaced by the vendor, but after some research on the Corsair's support, I read this kit wasn't in the "compatible" list. Even if the specs was at least compatible with my mother board requirements.

Anyway, I decided to jump to a 4x8Go kit, and ordered a CML8GX3M4A1600C10. Unfortunately, I received four CML8GX3M1A1600C10 instead of a kit.

But even with one stick, all I have in UEFI's setting for XMP is "Disabled" and "Profile 1". With my forst kit or the second, I should see a 2nd Profile I think. Am I wrong ?

What could cause this 2nd Profile not to appear ? My MB has the latest firmware by the way.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks !

Eddy

Okay ! Thank you both for your quick answers !

I was confused. I thought XMP Profile 2 was meant to use SPD latency, which those kits have listed in their spes.

So if I want to try using SPD latency instead of defaults one, can I ? And since it has nothing to do with XMP Profile, how do you set all the setrings offered in UEFI ?

So if I want to try using SPD latency instead of defaults one

SPD would be the defaults or 1333mhz.

And since it has nothing to do with XMP Profile, how do you set all the setrings offered in UEFI ?

You don't have to set those manually, just load defaults for the MB. They are set automatically once the modules are installed. If you want to use the SPD settings after you have set the xmp profile, simply disable the XMP profile

Thanks for all ! I have completely misunderstood the way it works from the beginning.

And about having 4 sticks of 8Go together, not being from a kit (4 x CML8GX3M1A1600C10 instead of CML32GX3M4A1600C10), could it be a problem ? The vendor replied that part numbers were very near (finishing by 339-340-347 and 353), so it is okay.

I have been running memtest for mac (my system is OSX) once, no errors, but it took nearly 2 hours to go through all the 32Go... Should I let it run 2 times or more to be sure I won't have any kernel panic, since it's not from a kit ?

Thanks again for your help :)

Yes, it can very well be a problem. However, you should be able to read the labels on the sticks & see if they are from the same lot/batch. That still doesn't mean they will always work together.

IMHO, this is the kit you should have purchased; CML32GX3M4A1600C10

Yes, CML32GX3M4A1600C10 is the kit I ordered in fact, but not the one I received unfortunately :/

The reseller just told me this is okay and will not make any difference. I trusted him, but after some research I realised I shouldn't.

But they are working okaywith XMP Profile 1. I just want to know if they may stop working correctly in a few months, because of not being from the same kit. And how I could check this. Running memtest is enough ? If yes, how long should I let it run to be "sure" it's okay.

Again, my opinion, but the reseller did not send you a factory tested & matched kit that you had ordered & paid for. Not knowing the warranty rules of your country or location, I can't really comment on what will happen a couple months down the road. Corsair has a warranty on the sticks, but all that is best left to the forum people more knowledgeable than me on that subject.

If all is currently stable, I would leave everything as it is & run the system. If problems develop, then maybe run Memtest on each stick individually. If one fails, I would take the reseller to task & politely request you get what you originally paid for, a factory matched kit. Personally, I would not hesitate to insist on a matched kit from a reseller that pulled a stunt like that on me. :):

But they are working okaywith XMP Profile 1. I just want to know if they may stop working correctly in a few months, because of not being from the same kit. And how I could check this. Running memtest is enough ? If yes, how long should I let it run to be "sure" it's okay.

There is no way to predict a failure like that. If they are stable i wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have to agree with HU16E I would insist the reseller send you the correct matched kit and return what you have since you did not receive what you ordered in the first place.

Corsair can not guarantee correct operation or rated speeds when two kits are mixed like that. The modules do have a life time warranty ,but if you have problems down the road they can only RMA for the same part numbers. So you would receive the same exact kit or kits ,thus facing the same issue again about mixing memory.

I'm testing all the sticks together using memtest86+ from a bootable CD. Already 25% done and no errors yet.

If the test is okay without any errors, I may let it go. If not, I'll get back to my reseller this afternoon.. And whatever happens, won't buy him anything in the futur for sure :/

I jave been running Memtest86 (booting from CD with Memtest ont it) for 11h30 with all the 32G of RAM. Not even one error.

Does this means the sticks are stable together ? I am using them at stock speed (Profile 1) and don't need any OC.

Archived