Corsair Community

Buzzing on audio when connected to front panel audio on Corsair Graphite 600T

CTV

Hi

I have a very strange issue. I own a Graphite 600T chassis for some time now. My motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth P67 with latest BIOS.

I used to run the front panel audio from my onboard sound using a pair of headphones no problem (other than Skyrim voices being soft, but that is a Realtek and Skyrim issue only).

I bought a second-hand (but brand new an unused) Asus Xonar DG sound card from a friend. The front panel audio of my Graphite 600T was also connected to this sound card and used with headphones - no problem here. I got the Xonar DG as I wanted to enhance my audio experience as well as make use of the Dolby Headphones capabilities for virtual surround sound effects. This however did not sound as great as everyone made it out to be. The Dolby Headphones effects sounded very hollow and spaced out. I hated it.

I then took a chance to buy a Creative Sound Blaster Z as it has received very few (but good) reviews. Apparently much better than the Recon3D fiasco. Again I connected my front panel audio to this new card as well. That is when I noticed a slight (almost inaudible) buzzing noise on my headphones. If I play any games, the buzzing is a bit more audible than just idling in Windows. At first when trying Skyrim I though that there area I was in inside the game itself had some kind of humming/buzzing insects in the wild, but when I relocated to a city, the buzzing was still present. I tried 2 other games and confirmed that this buzzing was present in them as well.

A bit miserable, I suspected at first that my Sound Blaster Z is faulty. I tried a couple of things to fix it: Stopped each fan by hand manually inside the chassis to eliminate electrical or magnet interference possibilities form them. I stopped my Corsair Hydro H100 water cooler pump as well, same issue.

Then I made a strange discovery, if I connect the headphones directly at the back of the card to its dedicated headphones jack, the buzzing ceases completely. If I connect it back to the front panel audio, the buzzing is present. This is very confusing...

Why would the front panel audio on my onboard sound and my Xonar work fine, but not with the Sound Blaster? Secondly, why would the issue not persist if I bypass the front panel audio header and instead use it connected directly to the card? Is there some interference that the Sound Blaster is more sensitive to? Is it the chassis? Is it grounding? Is it my PSU? (though I doubt it as a have a decent Corsair HX750). Is it the new Sound Blaster?

Anyone's help or input would be highly appreciated. Thanks

PS: I must admit that I do prefer this Sound Blaster's virtual surround sound effects (SBX Pro Studio: SBX Surround) MUCH MORE than the equivalent Dolby Headphones effects provided by the Xonar range of cards (i even had the Xonar Xense a while back and returned it as it sounded crap in my opinion). The Dolby Headphones effect just sounds to hollow and spaced out.

The sound card may be sensitive. If the buzzing noise disappears when you plug the headset to the sound card, It may be the front panel I/O connector.

I would suggest you leave it plugged into the sound card directly instead of the front panel.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It may very well be the front panel I/O connector yes, though I do not have this issue if I connect it to my onboard audio or other Asus Xonar DG sound card.

As for leaving it plugged in at the back, I would prefer to keep it in the front if possible because (A.) it is there to be used and should work, (B.) I have a Sony XB-500 set which has a short cable and is MUCH more convenient to use the front audio. Yes one can extend it but it is less ideal IMO.

Please request an RMA using the link on the left and explain the issue in the problem description and post the case number and we can have a new I/O panel sent to you.

Apart from the audio connectors, does a replacement I/O panel include the USB connectors as well as the fan controller or are they separate? If separated, how are they separated? (only the fan controller and/or the USB connectors on its own?)

Thanks

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Corsair Employees
Sorry CTV for the delay. For some reason your ticket fell through the system and was not able to be approved. Can you re-submit another ticket? I'll manually approve it for you once you do so and have them ship you the IO panel today.

Archived