Corsair Community

Modding H80i: increased cooler flow area

hello

I am new to this forum. I just installed a H80i, and I am quite happy with the ease of installation and the performance.

Having an engineering education, I noticed that the flow area of the 120mm fan only covers 66% of the cooler flow area. So I started thinking of separating the fan from the cooler using a spacer, so that the air flow would hit 100% of the cooler. Maybe using 140mm fans.

I expect that this would give increased performance. I understand that the H80i performance is excellent, but the purpose of modding is to have fun and satisfy some curiosity.

Any comments if the increased flow area would have an effect?

If I am reading you right you mean the fan would be separated from the radiator by a short distance? If that was the case then the air from the fan would surely take the path of least resistance and go out of the sides rather than through the sides?

I think he is talking about an enclosed shroud or duct - no air escaping. I would think that this should help a small amount - and also perhaps make the fan a bit quieter because the air wouldn't be instantly met by the resistance of the fins of the radiator.

I've brought this up before on various forums and haven't got verifiable feedback on how well it works, but it is an idea that others have implemented in the past.

There are a few such shrouds and spacers sold at modding shops - unfortunately they are easier to find for smaller fans than 120mm or 140mmm. Some people simply use a gutted fan housing as a spacer, but that usually just spaces the fan away without increasing the area recieving airflow, giving only partial benefits.

Long ago I saw a small article on spacers - but for the life of me I can't find it anymore...

hello

Thanks for the replies. Maybe the perceived advantages of my proposal seem not to be apparent. Let me explain.

(Of course, I would use a shroud)

The H80i cooler has a cooler entry area of 114mm x 120mm. That is 13680mm2.

A 120mm fan has an outside diameter of 115mm and an internal hub diameter of 46mm. That gives a flow area of 8725mm2.

Since the fan is placed close to the cooler inlet, the air flow from the fan cannot really fill up the complete cooler inlet. Only the portion 8725/13680 = 64% is used. On top of that, the 120mm fan is a bit small and there is leakage between the fan and the cooler.

So I would make a shroud which exposes the full cooler inlet area -> 100%.

A gutted 120mm fan (without the hub) would only expose 76% of the cooler inlet area (and still have leakage).

A shroud which exposes the full cooler inlet area of 13680mm2 would be ideally matched with a 140mm fan which has a flow area of 12650mm2.

By making such a system, theoretically the cooler flow area would increase by 56% which could then be used for either stronger cooling or slower quieter fans in a silent system.

Theoretically, such a system would have a larger flow area than a H100i cooler (2x120mm fans, 27mm thick compared to H80i 38mm)

• 4 months later...

It looks like there is a heat sink on this h80i's resevoir? or maybe it is on the mobo?

at any rate, do you think this would help dissipate heat if you could mount it properly, making the cooling of the fans that more effective?

http://images.hardwarecanucks.com/image/akg/water_cooling/H80i/h80i/install.jpg

from this review

When I first bought my H80 I also bought two Noctua NF-P14 FLX Vortex Control 120/140mm Quiet Case Fans.

The fans are 140mm however they have a 120mm mount, you can see them on my H80 in the attachment

I haven't opened the case for a long time and looking at the picture I am going to have to do some cleaning.

P1000144.thumb.jpg.0ec14a613587fede4771fdde7a7cc1f6.jpg

When I first bought my H80 I also bought two Noctua NF-P14 FLX Vortex Control 120/140mm Quiet Case Fans.

The fans are 140mm however they have a 120mm mount, you can see them on my H80 in the attachment

I haven't opened the case for a long time and looking at the picture I am going to have to do some cleaning.

Funny, I am doing the same thing. I should be getting my NF-A15's today. 140mm with 120 mounting.

Did you notice any cooling performance from the 120's ?

Funny, I am doing the same thing. I should be getting my NF-A15's today. 140mm with 120 mounting.

Did you notice any cooling performance from the 120's ?

I used the 120mm fans that came with the H80 in another spot in my case (HAF X) where I have them on a regulator turned down so that they cannot be heard, but they are blowing air over my graphics card and my SCSI controller.

I ordered the Noctua fans at the same time I ordered the H80 because from the very start it was my intention to mount them on the H80. I wanted them because I could turn them up full whack and they would still be pretty silent, aside from the fact that they were 140mm.

I seriously cannot imagine anyone wanting to get any other make of fan.

Thats on the MB. It's the top portion of the I/O ports. Looks like USB ports or something similar.

thanks,

yeah, i talked to the guys (hardware canuks) that did the review and they told me that it is an illusion. I kinda confirmed it when i felt my reservoir and it was cold.

Update for those searching etc.

I was able to mount a 140 on the outside of the radiator but the hoses get in the way on the frontside.

I went ahead and mounted the one 140 on the outside. I have outside air blowing into the case through the radiator. and used the 120 on the inside pulling air into the case from outside.

I think if anything performance went down. probably because the path of least resistance for the "pushing" air was off to the sides rather than through the radiator fins. a shroud would be needed to directed the flow into the fins and i do not want to try that mod with the extra room that will take.

Archived