Corsair Community

Hydrocool and MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

leondobr

I just got my second Hydrocool, this time the new model with the fan filters, and mounted it on my new pc with my new MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum and an Athlon64 3800+. I haven't tried overclocking yet.

It seems to be working okay with all default settings on the BIOS. I used the MBM software for a temperature reading and it shows cpu temp 43degC idle with the Hydrocool face temp reading 81degF. The cpu temp seems high to me, but it could just be the software.(Room temp is 25degC).

Sitting next to this computer is my old machine running at 35degC idle (as measured by Winbond HWmonitor) on my old Hydrocool This is an Abit IS7 with PentiumIV 3.0 clocked to 3.45 Ghz. The Hydrocool face temp reading is 80degF. Everything else - case, disks, fans, cards - is the same between these two machines sitting side by side.

But first I want to write about the mounting.

The Corsair-boxed K8 mounting bracket from ZipZoomFly was a nightmare to install. It's a flat plate and two screws, two springs, and two spacers that you have to slid down between the two water tubes of the Hydrocool block and screw into the stock K8 plastic heatsink retainer bracket's two screw holes. What a crazy design! The screws go through the top of the plate, the spacers go on the screws under the plate, and the springs go under the plate to sit on the Hydrocool block. Everything is loose and just dying to slide off and get lost in your compter!

The springs and screws and spacers (at least on one side of the plate) can't be set up until after you have the plate fit between the two water tubes!!! And all of the parts are loose! Until I taped the spacers, screws and springs in place, there was no way to get the thing down on the cpu without something falling off and getting lost. Even after taping them down, you still have to find the two screw holes in the K8 stock mounting bracket and then press down the plate until the screws meet the threads in the stock under bracket. This is with the cpu smeared with the thermal grease and the water block sliding around on it while you try to match up two screws and two holes blindly. I could have used a couple extra hands and some mirrors. Thank goodness the under bracket didn't come loose while all this was going on, or I would have needed an extra hand to hold it in place under the motherboard!

A poor, poor design. But I did eventually get it in place and everything screwed down. I'm sure the thermal grease from the cpu got smeared around on the water block in random ways while I was trying to fit the screws in the holes.

That's my tale of woe. My question is: is 43degC idle (room temp 25degC) a reasonable reading for an Athlon64 3800+ not overclocked? Or is the MBM software junk (I couldn't get Winbond HWMonitor to work on the MSI K8N), or what?

The temps seem high to me, but it could be that your bios is reporting the temps wrong in the first place. MBM is about the best temp reading program out there. I'd check with the board makers web site to see if they had a bios update before I'd worry about anything else. It seems that I've read something about this same problem somewhere else...........I'll have to look to see what I can find out.

I just got my second Hydrocool ...

But first I want to write about the mounting.

What a crazy design! ... Everything is loose and just dying to slide off and get lost in your compter!

A poor, poor design.

Leondobr,

Sad to say, the hold-down design for the AMD64 was not selected to produce.

Stev

I went out to some other forums and found that there is a common problem with reported temps from AMD Athlon64 chips. Nothing I could find yet about the 939 pin version I have, the 3800+, but it's new.

At idle with BIOS defaults MBM reads 43degC while the MSI utility (why do they make it look like a butterfly?) reads 51degC and the temperature reported by Hydrocool is 81degF idle. (I had to set MBM to the MSI K8N Neo, the 754 pin version because the author discontinued it - MBM - before the K8N Neo2 came out.) Are there any other freeware temp monitors?

Given the Hydrocool reported temp, 1 or 2 degF higher than my overclocked Pentium4, I suspect that there is an error in the MSI board's reported temp. I believe that the Hydrocool temp at the top of the waterblock is an actual measurement rather than a computed extrapolation as the others must be.

leondobr

hi 81f is good if your ambiant is 70-75f, Not to worry for MSI drag their feet on new stuff on the block, took them 3months on my newer type memory for bios to see it, anyway MSI utililty is wonky for they don't got 3800+ signature in bios or PC4 Alert just wait. yeah them instructions are imtimidating, myself would remove MB outta case an mounted WB checking that you got even pressure on cpu and no Caps or resistors hanging up mounting hardware.

http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/white_papers_and_tech_docs/26951.pdf

read here i wonder if ur cpu is the open die type, AMD puts on a protective film on the die, must be removed before grease and WB installation

also word of caution before using live update have your activeX drivers current and shut all back ground runnings etc msn,scanner-fax apps. Choose the dos option to flash (hench that flash means zero to speed)

wait takes 3mins to do

Yes, I can see MSI isn't the greatest updater... I've been using Abit for so long now I've become spoiled. The AnandTech review of the MSI board was so good though... I've given up on all the utilities that come with the MSI motherboard. Still looking for a good cpu temperature monitor. (Still haven't figured out the two ethernet ports yet either - one seems to be Realtek and one nVidia.)

Based on the one degF temp difference between the temp readings of the overclocked IS7 and the K8N Neo2 on the Hydrocool front panel, I have to conclude that the temps are similar. Also I've noticed that after the inital installation, over time the temps come down a degree or two. Maybe the thermal paste spreads out over time? Also, the IS7 cpu runs cooler overclocked this way by a couple of degrees - don't know why.

I can't bring myself to put the Hydrocool water block on the cpu without testing it first - the damage from a leak would be catastrophic. So I had a Gigabyte heatpipe kit on the cpu (didn't do bad) while testing the Hydrocool for leaks. So I set up that crazy Hydrocool K8 adapter in my open case on the floor on my knees with the Hydrocool full of water, the cpu smeared with Corsair thermal grease, on the hottest day of the summer with sweat pouring off me so that sticking tape to the litttle parts with one hand while holding the rest of the parts together between the water tubes was a chore! Then finding those screw holes and pressing down on the springs, hoping the thing wouldn't spring apart (again) while the water block was sliding around on the cpu was an experience I don't want to repeat.

I did remove the plastic paper from both the cpu and the water block and I cleaned both with nail polish remover before attempting anything.

Also, room temperature here in my basement in NH is about 75-78 degF in the daytime in the summer. The day I put it together was hotter and humid.

Archived