Corsair Community

AX760 coilwhine(?)

mads123

Hello,

So I recently bought an AX760 and it emits a high frequency tone. I've tried disabling the usual CPU energy saving stuff to no audible difference. The PSU makes the sound when connected to my new and old computer, running with the GPU or integrated graphics. I can hear the noise during idle, load, all the time basically and even a while after turning the computer off.

Will this sound go away with time or am I stuck with this? Is this model known for this or I am simply unlucky? Is RMA possible due to the noise it makes?

I might have sensitive hearing but the sound is loud enough to overpower my fans and has no problem going through my Antec p182 case. Quite disappointing due to the fact it isn't exactly a cheap PSU.

Other components:

CPU/Core i7-3770K 3.50GHz

16GB 1866MHz DDR3 No-ECC CL9 DIMM

ASUS GTX670-DC2-2GD5

ASUS P8Z77-V LK

I also noticed the AX 760 isn't listed in the RMA thingy on the site (http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport/)

My AX860 is also emitting some high frequency tone, high pitched buzzing noise.

Nearly all the PSUs I owned did that as well, mine is not loud, I have to stick my ear to the PSU to hear it.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it's really loud.

The quietest PSU I ever had, AX850, died after 6 months of use while my other AX850, which is buzzing and whining a bit is still going strong after 2 years now.

That's the reason why I'm scared of really quiet PSUs now....

• Corsair Employees
APC / Battery Back up is a battery ran power source that will kick in if you loose power from your wall power. If you dont know what it is I doubt you have one. I would also look in the power management settings for EUP or ERP setting and try changing that setting as well.

APC / Battery Back up is a battery ran power source that will kick in if you loose power from your wall power. If you dont know what it is I doubt you have one. I would also look int eh power management settings for EUP or ERP setting and try changing that setting as well.

Nope no APC/ Battery Back up. EUP was disabled, tried to enable, no difference. Could not find any ERP setting in bios, should be in the APM menu right?

Had my parents listen to the PSU and they couldn't hear a thing so it seems to be very high frequency but I'm 22 and can hear it extremely well, even when standing in the other corner of the room which is about 5m away, with case panels on :/

My old hx520 didn't make this sound like this so I believe there is something "wrong" with my new AX760.

I tried to record the sound but the microphone on my camera really doesn't tell the full story.

I also compared it to my old PSU to show the difference.

First part of the video is my new setup and the second is with my old motherboard.

As for load vs idle, I can't really hear a difference.

Archived