Corsair Community

AX760i noise-free operation

antilopa

Hi folks,

I would like to ask about the noise-free operation of AXi PSUs. 99% of the time, my PSU fan is off, as my PSU is not under load. But the Corsair Link software reads temperatures over 40°C... When I set manual mode of the fan in the software to make it spin at its minimal RPM, the temperature falls to approximately 25°C. So here is my question:

Is it better for the PSU to run at 25°C than 40°C for its lifespan or does it make no difference?

The fan does not run on temperature alone. It's a combination of temp and load. So if your fan never spins because your system is idle most of the time , then your fine.

Besides a temp of 40c for a PSU is nothing to worry about. It's well within it's operating limits and will not make any difference on lifespan between 40c ad 25c.

Hi, thanks for answer.

So what are you saying is that temperature alone would or would not ever trigger fan on? I can imagine the PSU with idle fan would climb over 50°C in the summer... Currently it looks like the PSU is at 40°C when my PC takes 100-200W power and at 25°C when it takes 300W+ power.

...will not make any difference on lifespan between 40c ad 25c.

Is this just your opinion or is it based on some serious testing or electro-physics theory?

So what are you saying is that temperature alone would or would not ever trigger fan on?

No, not necessarily, Sure temp alone could trigger the fan. If you have a case that's restrictive as far as airflow or have components that run hot to begin with, it could trigger the fan. So if it climbs far enough it would start the fan

Is this just your opinion or is it based on some serious testing or electro-physics theory?

From the tech specs page of that PSU

Reliable

As with all AX PSUs, the AX760i is built with premium components, such as high-temp 105° C capacitors, and is capable of continuous power delivery at a temperature rating of 50° C, ensuring maximum performance and reliability even in the most hot-running performance PCs.

I can assure you that if you PSu approached anything close to that at idle the fan would kick in and bring the temps down to closer to what you are seeing at a load of 300w

http://www.corsair.com/us/blog/ax760i_technical_details

Thanks for the link, it is very nice. It doesn't explain if there is a difference on lifespan (and that 50°C is kinda close to my 40°C), but at least it ensures there is some sort of over-temperature-protection, which sounds promising.

Still I can't understand why the fan speed is based on system load rather than its temperature, what takes ambient temperature out of the equation. I believe hot summer + passive CPU cooler emitting heat right onto the PSU will make the temperature considerably higher than it is now. But that's something I shall test 6-7 months later. :)

• Corsair Employees
Still I can't understand why the fan speed is based on system load rather than its temperature, what takes ambient temperature out of the equation.

It's a combination of both. It is not temp dependent nor load dependent. Fan speed will vary depending on temp value and load value simultaneously.

Thanks for the link, it is very nice. It doesn't explain if there is a difference on lifespan (and that 50°C is kinda close to my 40°C),

What that is saying is temp wont have an impact on life span. It is guaranteed/designed to run at 50c for seven years. So it won't matter if it's running at 25c or 40c all the time.

Archived