Corsair Community

Choosing the right backup battery for PSU/computer

Beeny2

I'm looking to buy a backup battery for my computer. I live an in area where the power cuts outs for a second time to time. I know There are different Power supply styles and want to make sure I get the right Battery so it works and is compatible with my PSU. Any suggestions would be helpful. For my unit do I just have to make sure it has PFC in the title of the product or is there something else i need to know. Not sure I understand the whole sin wave thing either. Thanks.

This is the product I was looking at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102134

SPECS

Brand

CORSAIR

Model

CMPSU-1000HX

Series

HX Series

Spec

Type

ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91

Maximum Power

1000W

Fans

140mm Thermally Controlled

PFC

Active

Main Connector

20+4Pin

+12V Rails

PCI-Express Connector

6 x 6+2-Pin

SATA Power Connector

SLI

SLI Ready

CrossFire

CrossFire Ready

Modular

Modular

Efficiency

> 80%

Energy-Efficient

80 PLUS Certified

Input Current

13A

Output

+3.3V@30A, +5V30A, +12V1@40A, +12V2@40A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@3.5A

MTBF

>100,000 Hours

Approvals

UL, CE, CB, TUV, FCC, CCC

Dimensions

150mm(W) x 86mm(H) x 200mm(L)

Features

Features

Supports the latest ATX12V 2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 Standards. Backwards

compatible with ATX12V 2.01

Auto switching circuitry provides universal AC input 90-264V

Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection and Short

Circuit Protection provide maximum component safety

Five year limited warranty with 24/7 on demand customer service

Compatible with Core i7

Actually we would need to know what the rest of your system specs are to give you a specific answer.

That unit is good for 900w and you have a 1000w PSU.

Depending on what the rest of your system is comprised of it may be undrpowered for your needs.

On the good side of things it is a pure sine wave back up and is the only type they recommend with their PSU's But if your system is large enough that you are actually pushing your HX1000, it may not work once the power is cut.

The best way to size a battery backup for a pc is to monitor power usage under peak operating condition. Even though you have 1000watt power, Your actual power usage varies and is probably a lot lower under peak conditions. PC power usage can be monitored for peak conditions and a UPS can be sized to accommodate this event. An inexpensive power monitor which can be used is: http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1354731270&sr=8-4&keywords=pc+power+monitor

my system has a Corsair AX1200 watt psu but my battery backup has a max watt of 865 and it has allways kept my system running when the power went out even though if you look at my system specs I have lots of hardware including 2 GTX 580's but my system uses 735watts while running everything at full load, but it's really up too you what you feel comfortable with. also when my power does go out and I am home then of course I shut my system down and when I am not home my batter backup software will shut it down for me.

Archived