Corsair Community

CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10 and ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Rev2

Xilosciente

Memory's not on the QVL for the Sabertooth 990FX, but that shouldn't be any issue to run the sticks at least in JEDEC settings.

I bought two of these 2 x 8GB sets on Amazon, and being the intelligent guy I am, I threw in just one stick and opened up BIOS. BIOS detects it as 1333Mhz. Okay, JEDEC minimum. But lo and behold, I open up the SPD manager and the XMP profile of 1866Mhz is available. Selected, and BIOS spots the 1866Mhz stick right away.

I set the memory to the XMP profile in BIOS for 1866MHz 10-11-10-30 1.5v and started up memtest86, expecting smooth sailing. Memtest says the memory is running at 1867MHz, 8192 MB available. All good.

After just one pass of test 6, I had 187 errors.

I immediately backed the memory down to the JEDEC minimum of 1333MHz, 9-9-9-24 1.5v and tested again. Memtest sees the memory as 1600MHz 8192 MB. Again, test 6 threw over 100 errors.

Long story short, I tested all four of these modules one at a time. Then tested them in their matching pairs on dual-channel. Then tested all four sticks hoping for a miracle. All attempts threw test 6 errors, the all four sticks test throwing a whopping 2000+ errors.

Flipping memtest86 the finger, I threw in Windows 7 64-bit installation and started it up... only to get the dreaded 0x80070570 error during unpackaging install files. Microsoft says this error is most common when RAM is bad. Go figure.

Okay, bad sticks happen. Not normal for both sticks in a set to go bad... and definitely not two packages from different dies... but it could happen. I go to Corsair's official RMA site, and the CMZ16GX3M2A1866C10 isn't listed on the product selection. Huh?

Can anyone help me out here? If I can't get a solution, these things are getting returned to Amazon on Monday.

I bought two of these 2 x 8GB sets on Amazon, and being the intelligent guy I am, I threw in just one stick and opened up BIOS. BIOS detects it as 1333Mhz. Okay, JEDEC minimum. But lo and behold, I open up the SPD manager and the XMP profile of 1866Mhz is available. Selected, and BIOS spots the 1866Mhz stick right away.

Lets address this first, Corsair does not suggest or support mixing/combining memory kits because it can be hit or miss at best . Even two kits of the same exact part number,version number and so on can be incompatible with each other. You should always buy the capacity you want out of one single tested matched kit. It would have been better to have bought a matched 32 gig set instead of two 16gig sets. Mixing memory kits or even adding kits later is a practice that started years ago when you could just use about anything and it would work.

When the memory controller got moved to the CPU instead of the MB it became increasingly important to have have matched kits. This is why the memory manufacturers take the time to test, match, and package memory into kits. Otherwise they would just sell nothing but single sticks.

I set the memory to the XMP profile in BIOS for 1866MHz 10-11-10-30 1.5v and started up memtest86, expecting smooth sailing. Memtest says the memory is running at 1867MHz, 8192 MB available. All good.

The XMP profile may show in the BIOS but is not supported with AMD processors, so this is no surprise that that did not work. Just set them manually.

Long story short, I tested all four of these modules one at a time. Then tested them in their matching pairs on dual-channel. Then tested all four sticks hoping for a miracle. All attempts threw test 6 errors, the all four sticks test throwing a whopping 2000+ errors.

Isolate the two kits and then test the sticks one at a time in the first slot. This is the only way to accurately test them to see if you indeed have a bad stick out of the two kits. I don't think your fighting a bad kit or even a bad stick, just trying to go beyond the limitations of the memory controller. And then the two kits are not working with each other.

I also think your fighting the limitations of the AMD memory controller limitations listed here. Using 4 sticks with an FX series processor nothing over 1600mhz is supported. And then with two unmatched kits you may have to go as low as 1333mhz.to get them all to run together.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=110429

Please read every part of the post before only responding to bits and pieces of it. I understand the risk I'm taking by mixing memory sets. But if even one stick alone can't run through memtest86 without throwing errors, something is wrong.

As I said, all the sticks were tested individually, and both sets were tested on their own as 2 x 8Gb pairs. All configurations were only tested at the 1333Mhz settings, since the first one throwing errors at 1866Mhz scared me off of trying the higher settings.

AMD's latest revisions to the FX-8350 and the Rev2 of the Sabertooth FX990 includes native support for dual-channel 1866MHz memory, and quad-channel support for 1600MHz memory. AMD's DDR3 Memory Frequency Guide is outdated, when AMD posted that on their website it was May 2012, and the FX-8350 and the Sabertooth Rev2 came out after that.

Skipping the XMP profile, the RAM can easily be overclocked to 1867MHz by bumping the core bus to 233 (making OCing the processor to an easy 5 GHz simply by adjusting the multiplier and the voltage accordingly). But if the sticks are bad, then there's no reason to overclock them.

Like I said. If Corsair can't give me a solid answer on what's going on, it might just be easier to return them and go for a 2 x 8GB at C9, which -is- on the QVL (I don't know why the CL10s aren't on the QVL), or maybe just a 4 x 4GB 1600MHz set.

Please read every part of the post before only responding to bits and pieces of it

Sorry, your post is a little unclear of exactly how you tested all of the memory. So i addressed what I could.

But if even one stick alone can't run through memtest86 without throwing errors, something is wrong

As I said, all the sticks were tested individually, and both sets were tested on their own as 2 x 8Gb pairs. All configurations were only tested at the 1333Mhz settings, since the first one throwing errors at 1866Mhz scared me off of trying the higher settings.

This would point towards the board being bad or something wrong with the CPU

AMD's latest revisions to the FX-8350 and the Rev2 of the Sabertooth FX990 includes native support for dual-channel 1866MHz memory, and quad-channel support for 1600MHz memory. AMD's DDR3 Memory Frequency Guide is outdated, when AMD

posted that on their website it was May 2012, and the FX-8350 and the Sabertooth Rev2 came out after that.

Yes, it did, but it still applies unless you can find different information. This is the official information that Corsair has.

Like I said. If Corsair can't give me a solid answer on what's going on, it might just be easier to return them and go for a 2 x 8GB at C9, which -is- on the QVL (I don't know why the CL10s aren't on the QVL), or maybe just a 4 x 4GB 1600MHz set.

I can tell you 1000% that those modules are indeed compatible with that combination. You may have to wait till Monday when they are open if you want RamGuy to respond. I'm just trying to help.

But from what you describe sure sounds like a bad board . But again, if you want on official answer i have no problem with that.

It is looking like a bad board now.

I originally tried the memory only in configurations recommended by Asus (1 DIMM in this slot, 2 DIMMs in these slots). Now I'm going through again and testing out each slot with one stick only... and I'm getting those regular, repeated test #6 errors.

My last-ditch effort will be to run memtest on my current computer's memory (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9), verify it's good (which it should be, running my current build for almost three years now with zero hiccups), and throw it in the Asus. If it throws errors again, I'll assume the board is bad.

Thats what i would bet on. I hate to even suggest this, but it could be the memory controller in the CPU.

Although rare , it does happen from time to time..

I think i can only remember a handful of those in the last three years. But at any rate if all sticks are throwing the same error, I would start with the MB..

If swapping boards doesn't fix it then it has to be CPU. Unless you have run that CPU in your current build and can confirm it's okay.

My 790FX can't handle the Vishera, unfortunately, currently running an Athlon X3. It's nice, but 2.6Ghz is pretty damn slow.

I might throw the X3 in the replacement motherboard if I get a second and the same errors pop up again. That's gonna be baaad.

Mainly I need to know if there's some problem with these CL10s that keeps them from being QVL, when the CL9s are. Returning them and getting QVL C9's is no problem.

Interesting update here. Being a bit more through with testing out individual sticks, I have found that one pair of the 2x8GB sets throw half as many errors as the other pair does. And in all cases the errors are limited to memory addresses 5000MB and higher.

Maybe it really is the memory? Or *cringe* Vishera's memory controller?

And every single Vishera review I've seen has folks running at least 2x4Gb at 1866Mhz, despite AMD's insistence that only a single slot motherboard can do 1866.

Confirmed, the motherboard is not bad. I just ran memtest on my Corsair XMS 2 x 2GB 1333Mhz sticks on the Sabertooth, tested single and dual channel both, and they passed with flying colors.

It's interesting, memtest86+ 4.20 only shows errors on test 6 when it gets past 4GB. Definitely is sounding like the IMC there.

Now running version 5 beta of memtest to weed out any problems with the program... if it throws the errors again in the same place again, I'm returning the processor for a new one. Poor Vishera...

Yeah, like i said it is a rare thing but does happen.

I wasn't sure, that's why i said to start with the Mb, because it may have been the easiest to RMA. But it does look like the CPU in this case.

Since you were able to test the memory in another system and it passes with no problems that would safely rule out the memory

And every single Vishera review I've seen has folks running at least 2x4Gb at 1866Mhz, despite AMD's insistence that only a single slot motherboard can do 1866.

I'm sorry, I don't hold much faith in reviews or other users experiences. It only makes other end user expect more in some cases. Always best to just go with what the manufacturers suggest. After all they are the one who made the hardware and what is best for each part..

I haven't tested the 1866Mhz CL10s in another system, I tested tried and true memory in the Sabertooth. The MB is just fine.

Memtest 5.0 is a little more detailed and detects sections of RAM that are failing repeatedly, and sure enough, certain addresses are failing time and time again on these sticks. Always in the 4 to 8 gig range, never in the 0 to 4 gig. Gonna return these and pick up new RAM asap.

I have these EXACT same problems with CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 memory, ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 motherboard and an AMD FX-8320 CPU. I tried six different sticks of RAM (all identical), then swapped the motherboard for an ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0 and am still having the same problem with the new board. Also tried two different BIOS revisions on the same board, again with the same result. RAM works fine in an Intel i7-based Dell machine. All test done at rated speed, voltage and CAS (no overclocking). I don't have any other brand of DDR3 memory to try out, but it is pretty much mathematically impossible that all six DIMMs and two motherboards are defective. Which leaves either the CPU itself, or possibly a fault with the ASUS 990FX-based boards. Ordered another identical CPU last night. Should be here sometime tomorrow so I can test and find out whether it's a faulty sample or something more sininster.

• Corsair Employees

The only thing that is the same is that you both have the same MB and or MB maker.

So the cases are not really related I would suggest you create your own thread and provide more details about the issue and your exact system configuration and what the issue is and we can try to help you.

However, I would suggest you both review the CPU limitations as you may be fight that more so than a memory issue.

AMD Memory Compatibility with speeds above DDR1333!

In addition, when using a memory memory testing program like what we suggest http://www.memtest.org on many ASUS MB's you have to disable legacy USB or you may get false errors.

Archived