Corsair Community

CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10 Boot Problems

sh0gunshin

Ive ordered a pair of these sticks CMSX8GX3M2A1866C10

8 GB 1866 MHZ Corsair Vengeance C10 SODIMM RAM and tried installing them in my gaming notebook, but they won't post

Alienware M14x R2

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

3rd Generation Intel Core i7-3720QM

8GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1600MHz

2 GB DDR5 NVIDIA GeForceGT 650M

Soundblaster Recon3Di

256 GB Crucial M4 SSD

any ideas?

I already filed for an RMA and received my second set yesterday but problem still persists

Here are the results from the ram configurator: http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/corsair_custom.aspx?sc=us&id=4751119

I didn't see the R2 series listed there so i just selected the second "M14x"

Corsair advertises these sticks being compatible with any i5/i7 processor

* Tried selecting 1867 in BIOS before boot

* BIOS has default settings barring AHCI

* I'm not sure if 1866 is offered for my particular model, but the kingston hyperx 1866 is 110% compatible with no problems as reported by users @ NBR

Corsair advertises these sticks being compatible with any i5/i7 processor

And they are as long as your system supports those memory speeds. Even though your laptop has that processor the MB does not support memory speeds that high. They go hand in hand and if one does not match the other they won't work!

I don't think they are compatible. Everything I can find about the R2 version shows only 1600mhz memory with only the M18x is able to use 1866mhz memory. And that would be with ONLY 8 gigs of 1866mhz memory. Once that capacity is exceeded then it drops to 1600mhz memory as being supported.

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/alienware-performance-laptops?l=en&s=dhs&c=us&cs=19&lid=4301857&ST=alienware+m14x+r2&acd=sG77biBY0%2C26796793075%2C901pdb6671&cid=245947&dgc=ST&mboxSession=1354405872104-736374

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2409004,00.asp

I would drop the frequencie to 1600mhz and see if it will post then.

I had it set to auto and tried booting and it didn't work, which is why i tried adjusting the values to 1867. I know a user over @ notebookreview managed to get a pair of 16gb 1866 mhz to post on his M14x R2 and is now attempting to try the Kingston 2133 8 gb

from what i've heard from users though, the corsair vengeance 1866 either works or it doesn't. Kingston's HyperX seem to post with no problems, which is why i'm trying to get these to work due to better timings

i can adjust as high as 2133 in my bios as well

What it boils down to is that your system isn't designed fo that speed memory for one, and just because another user managed to get it to work in no way means that you will.

It's going to depend on the strength or weakness of the memory controller in your CPU.

And every single one is different even if they are the same part number. They will all overclock differently. And once you start overclocking there are no guarantees.

As i pointed out only the M18x is the only one that "officially" supports 1866mhz memory , but if you can manage to got them to run on your system. that's great.

Kingston's HyperX seem to post with no problems, which is why i'm trying to get these to work due to better timings

You might try to loosen the timings a bit, that may get them to post at 1866.Thats probably why they (Kingston)post and the Vengeance do not. Besides slightly tighter timings are not going to be noticeable.

i can adjust as high as 2133 in my bios as well

Sorry to keep stressing this, you may have the ability to adjust them that high, but it's going to boil down to your CPU's IMC. I seriously doubt you'll get anything to post at that frequency with that CPU

Archived