Corsair Community

Cm3x1g1600c8d xms3-1600

Braegnok

Hello, Is Dominator module CM3X1G1600C8D, from a triple channel kit of 3 modules.

I just bought 4 matching modules, all with same exact serial numbers, timings 8-8-8-24, and Ver3.1, voltage 1.8V. on line the seller had 4 mix matched sets of 4 sticks for sale. I asked if he could put together 4 matching sticks and he did. So I bought them, and plan on using them in a Dual Channel set up. If they are triple channel modules can I run 4 matched modules or 2 matched modules in Dual Channel set up? Thanks for any help.

Is Dominator module CM3X1G1600C8D, from a triple channel kit of 3 modules.

No, it's just a single stick !

I just bought 4 matching modules, all with same exact serial numbers, timings 8-8-8-24, and Ver3.1, voltage 1.8V. on line the seller had 4 mix matched sets of 4 sticks for sale. I asked if he could put together 4 matching sticks and he did. So I bought them, and plan on using them in a Dual Channel set up. If they are triple channel modules can I run 4 matched modules or 2 matched modules in Dual Channel set up? Thanks for any help.

Basically there is no way to tell if these are going to run together at all. It makes no difference if they are all the same version serial number or not. This would also not be considered a kit. Those are all miss matched sticks and I would highly advise against using them with that system. Just because some guy put four of them together does not mean a thing.They are just single sticks that were thrown together and not tested as a matced kit at the factory. This makes a HUGE difference!

Unless you purchase a matched sealed kit from Corsair there is no way to guarantee or say if they will work or not.

If you had a triple channel kit , yes you could use two of them in dual channel, but as i stated above those are all just single random sticks , so there is no way to tell if any of them are going to work.

Yes, he was selling 4 modules for $24.99 free shipping, and had 12 modules total for sale. And in the photo's I noticed several were Ver3.1 and Ser. #'s 08290551 So I asked if he had 4 sticks all the same, which he did so I bought them. But I knew the odds of them being able to run in 4 up were vary low. With no warranty as is. And was hoping to get 2 good sticks to use for overclocking, as I do not like to overclock my expensive matched sets. But for $24.99 I will put a world of hurt on them.:D:

Matched set will always produce higher overclocks, and besides Corsair memory has a lifetime warranty as long as you do not exceed the max voltage of 2.0v on the sticks, you won't hurt them.

As you know 2.0v DIMM voltage would probably fry your CPU , but at least you wouldn't have to worry about the memory.

IMHO i would overclock the matched sticks and keep the used ones for back ups in case of an RMA situation.

My matched new set is 1333 MHz @ 1.5V So would running them a little higher say in the 1400 range be safe, I run the Q9550 at 3400MHz 24/7 on 400 strap but could lower it down to 1333 and get the memory around 1440MHz may need a small increase in DRAM voltage apx. .5V and run them around 1.6V. Does that sound OK for 24/7 usage. Thanks in advance.

All Corsair can advise, and in this case me too ,is just the advertized settings.

As long as you don't go over 2.0v on the sticks they shoud hold up.

. You bought them second hand so there is no warranty, so what ever you do with them is up to you.

If you can get them that high cool, but in this case 1066would be recommended with all four mis matched sticks

I ordered a new 8GB 4X2G 1333C9 @ 1.5V kit from Corsair last week, sorry for the confusion. And also bought 4X1G 1600C8 @ 1.8V mix, matched old style Dominators from a end user. I am planning on running the New matched set @ 1333 or 1400's @ 1.5V, But like you said the old mix-matched 1600's will be a spare set. I only go about 3400MHz on CPU 401 X 8.5 that gives me options for 1:1 @ 1600MHz or 3:4 1333MHz memory speed, and 8 GB at 1333 with only 1.5V will be vary nice.:D:

But like you said the old mix-matched 1600's will be a spare set. I only go about 3400MHz on CPU 401 X 8.5 that gives me options for 1:1 @ 1600MHz or 3:4 1333MHz memory speed, and 8 GB at 1333 with only 1.5V will be vary nice.

Well, thats what i was getting at, with the mis matched kit i doubt you will be able to run them at 1600mhz. You might get away with 1333mhz, but you may have to go as low as 1066mmhz with the mixed set. Unmatched sticks very rarely run at rated speed. Usually the next lowest SPD would be recommended or actually needed.

Don't get me wrong , some do get lucky and they work, but with 4 completely unmatched sticks i wouldn't expect an overclock at all.

I hope I'm wrong just so you get you want. Let us know what happens though!

Wow! Thanks, for the information. I can see now what you mean, and why having a sealed matched set is the way to go for higher overclocking with more stability and less issues. I bet over the years half of my stability issues trying for higher overclock were memory related, and not some setting or adjustment trying to get stable. It's nice to learn something, guess your never to old to learn. :beatchair Thanks.

Archived