Corsair Community

New guy with a question

ronfla

I'm about to build a new system with a Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H mobo and an Intel i5-3570K CPU. I was told by a store employee that the Vengence CMZ8GX3M1A1600C10 is compatible with the board but i don't see it listed on the compatibility list. I know these lists aren't complete so i thought i'd ask here.

Thanks for the help

i don't have the machine together yet which is why i asked. as far as the 16gb kit you mentioned isn't that what i got basically? i don't think the store had a 'kit' and i wanted to get this thing started tomorrow. i've been sitting on the parts for a while.

Right now i wouldn't be mixing kits since i have 2 of the same modules. i would have to set the frequencies to 1600 in the bios right. if i get another kit it will be the same for sure.

Thanks for the replies

• Administrators
i don't have the machine together yet which is why i asked. as far as the 16gb kit you mentioned isn't that what i got basically? i don't think the store had a 'kit' and i wanted to get this thing started tomorrow. i've been sitting on the parts for a while.
No, it's not quite the same.

A 16 GB kit is comprised of two 8 GB sticks, yes, however they go through testing in the factory to ensure that they'll work well together. If you purchase two random 8 GB sticks there's no guarantee that they'll work together at all.

Right now i wouldn't be mixing kits since i have 2 of the same modules. i would have to set the frequencies to 1600 in the bios right. if i get another kit it will be the same for sure.
Yes, you are mixing modules. Just because they have the same part name doesn't mean they're compatible. Each memory stick can be made with different integrated controllers, and even if they use the same ICs, that doesn't mean they'll work well together. Here's a quick SIMPLIFIED list of the ICs we may use in any given part name: http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68811

Interesting and something i didn't know. i looked on the stores web site and they have the kit so i will return these 2 and get the kit. Don't you know the kit is cheaper also. thanks for the link and the info. i appreciate that. the kit i'm looking at is CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 which is 2 of the ones i got.

Archived