Corsair Community

CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 w/ ASRock Extreme4

djudes

Hi,

I am gonna build my first computer soon. I bought CMZ12GX3M3A1600C9 (3x 4gb triple channel) instead of 2x 4gb and wanted to know if I'll be able to use two of my three sticks in dual channel and get the same perfomance as the 2x 4gb ? Will I get more perfomance by using all of them (one single and two in dual channel) ? My MOBO is the ASRock z77 extreme4 !

Thank you very much,

Djudes

You can use just two of those in dual channel, and have a stick left over.It's just a waste of money. you could also add that third stick and it would either put your MB into a hybrid mode or just add that stick to the total amount of memory.

I'm guessing you found that kit in the QVL on the manufacturers website? Why they list triple channel kits for a dual channel board is beyond me.

However triple channel kits are for socket 1366mb. I would suggest you return that kit and choose a dual channel kit made for that MB

For a complete list of dual channel kits that would be compatible with that MB you could look here.

http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?sc=us&id=4577506

Your CPU you chose will also have an impact on the memory you use, what CPU are you buying?

No worries, I would suggest using just 2 of them because adding the third could actually hamper your performance instead of help it.

And at least you would have a spare stick that is matched to the others in case of a failure. Not that i would expect one anyway.

Good luck with your first build and if you have any further questions please feel free to ask!

Cheers!

Archived