Corsair Community

Vengeance 2400 mhz timings

ivo

I got a 8GB kit DDR3 2400Mhz - CMZ8GX3M2A2400C10

I tried to run it on both AsRock Z77 Extreme4 and P67 Extreme4 at 2400 mhz, with no success. Tried everything including the asrock tech support directions.

The memory doesn't run even at 2133 Mhz.

However,

It can run at 1866 mhz on default timings 10-13-13-31

My question is - what should be the timings for this speed ?

The XMP timings for 2400 Mhz are 10-12-12-31.

However,

It can run at 1866 mhz on default timings 10-13-13-31

My question is - what should be the timings for this speed ?

The XMP timings for 2400 Mhz are 10-12-12-31.

This would mean that your CPU just isn't up to the task of running memory at those speeds. Alot tf them do especially when your CPU only has a max supported frequency of 1600mhz.

Run CPUz and look at the SPD tab. It should show you the various timings for different speeds,

Or you could just continue ti tighten them one at a time until they wont post anymore . And then back them back off again.

With XMP enabled have you tried to increase the VCSSA v any(memory controller) I would try adding .1v at a time with a max of 1.25v You may find out that you can get them to run at 2133mhz maybe.

If they run at default timings at 1866mhz I would leave it alone to be honest.

2400mhz is crazy high I doubt anything less than ivy bridge will run it on 1155 socket. 2133 is likely with increased vtt maybe. I'm running4x4gb 1866mhz and I have to raise vtt to 1.1v. But that's 4 sticks. I don't think u should have a problem running 2133mhz with 2 sticks at stock vtt. But every CPU is different.

2400 using a Sandy Bridge CPU? Not going to happen! Especially on a P67 mainboard using a 2600k.

I think that the memory speed support depends on the motherboard.

That's not an entirely accurate statement. It mainly depends on the what the 'CPU IMC' supports. For a Sandy CPU, it is natively DDR3 1333 speed. On the Z77, place an Ivy CPU on it, & results may be much better for RAM speeds.

The CPU is Core i7 2600K

I think that the memory speed support depends on the motherboard.

Already tried with the VCSSA with no result.

No, the MB may support faster memory, but again that is aimed at the overclockers that are running benchmarks for 30 seconds at crazy high voltages and using things like liquid nitrogen for cooling or have really wild custom water cooling systems.

Your memory frequencies are determined by the strength or weakness of your CPU.

If you look at the specs for your CPU it only officially supports a max memory of 1333mhz

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Anything above that is not a guaranteed thing and will be highly dependent on your CPU as noted by Hooded and HU16E

I would start out with something more conservative like 1600mhz and work your way up until it wont post anymore.

I would also suggest you look for overclocking guides for your CPU and or MB to help you understand what you are getting into.

One other thing i would like to see is Corsair start noting that these high frequency modules are not really for everyday use and aimed at enthusiasts who know how to overclock or at least understand what they are getting into.

There have been to many newer or first time users see that the Mb will handle these memories but don't understand that it is the CPU that determines how fast you can actually run them.I think there should be further documentation

It's an assumption or common misconception that if a mb supports these modules they should be plug and play and they are not.

The AsRock z77 runs perfectly 24/7 with other brands memory at 2400mhz speed and 2600k cpu only with xmp profile loaded. No additional tweaks.

It's compatability issues with asrock and some corsair modules.

My general question is - if this memory is supposed to work at 2400 mhz with 10-12-12-31 timings, what should be the coresponding timings at 1866 mhz.

Set them up to JEDEC Standards. 1.50v's. Intel indicates the DRAM V. to be + or - 0.075v's variance. If it doesn't work, a lot of time & patience, experimentation, & trial & error will be required.

Timings by the JEDEC Chart for 1866;

10 10 10

11 11 11

12 12 12

13 13 13.

Archived