Corsair Community

Vengeance 16GB on Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6

matt_HDL

Looking for some help here guys. Ive been out of the hardware scene for a while. I offered to do a RAM upgrade on a work PC and cannot get the thing to boot with the new memory. Memtest also fails to run a test i.e. starts and just hangs there. The memory is model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10R and the motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD6. The bios detects the ram and recognises the correct amount at 16gb. However no matter what I try I get as far as a hanging 'starting windows' screen :[pouts:

After reading a number of different posts it seems I need to configure the ram to make it work correctly. Can anyone talk me through the settings I need? Or point in the right direction :confused:

Many Thanks,

Matt.

Matt the problem may be that that Mb may not support 8gig modules, seems there is some confusion over this chipset, so you may want to follow this thread to see exactly what happens.

If it turns out that it will not use 8 gig modules you may need to find a different set.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112640

I'm going to offer the same as i did the other person and that is to contact Gigabyte and see if that board can make use of 8 gig modules .

The two threads are are both 1156 socket Mb and use basically the same chipset.

Thanks for the responses gents. So far I have just tried the standard settings. Setting the timings and voltage as per the label and XMP enabled after a CMOS reset. All yield the same results.

If I stick the 2x2GB sticks back in it fires straight up without a problem.

Thanks again,

Matt.

• Corsair Employees
Matt the problem may be that that Mb may not support 8gig modules, seems there is some confusion over this chipset, so you may want to follow this thread to see exactly what happens.

If it turns out that it will not use 8 gig modules you may need to find a different set.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=112640

I'm going to offer the same as i did the other person and that is to contact Gigabyte and see if that board can make use of 8 gig modules .

The two threads are are both 1156 socket Mb and use basically the same chipset.

Peanutz64 is correct and no confusion your MB will not support 8.0 Gig modules. The chipset its Using can support 16 Gig of memory that is true but it has to be 4 x 4.0 Gig modules made with 256 X 8 Memory IC's and 8.0 Gog modules use 512M X 8 Memory which your chipset will not be able to see.

Archived