Corsair Community

Corsair H80 water cooling system

oldassgamers

Hello guys, I now I got four H80 water cooling system at my home (Number 1-4).

What I've notice:

H80 ( Number 1 ) which is 1 year and 6 months old it lost about 20% effenciency, my idle on my i7 3930k is 60C and workload is over 70C. Which is very bad. I replaced it with a new H80 ( Number 4 ) and I get an idle load of 38-40C and a work load of 53C which is very good.

My H80 ( Number 2 ) is now 8 months old and it has lost effenciency about 10%. My idle load on my i7 3930k is at 50C and work load of 65C which is okay.

I know that intergrated water cooling loses water over time with usages. But I believe their technology on the H80 with plastic pipes can't contain the water so good. It would be cheaper for me to buy standard fan cooling system. Why does the H80 loses effenciency so fast? I can understand after 1 years of uses but not after just 8 months.

What I have done today is to order the latest technology from corsair H80i with gum pipe (Number 5 ). I'm really hoping that this will contain the water and make it more efficence in the long run.

Any thoughts?

Have you tried seriously cleaning the H80 you designate as #1???

The H80's obviously have a very thick rad, and the push/pull fans. They can, and do drag quite a bit of dust through those rad fins over longer periods of time and use. Even systems with high grade dust filters can't stop it all, they just reduce or minimise the problem of dust. Once a small amount of dust starts to build up, more dust quickly clogs up the fins, and there is that corresponding drop in cooling performance.

It is a completely closed system, so none of the coolant within "escapes" over time.

Consider options such as purchasing some cans of compressed air, and really blow some air through those fins on your rad. You'll be quite surprised to see what gets blasted out of the other side!!

The time it takes for this to happen is completely subjective. Do you have pets that often create extra dust? Do you keep your rig up on a desktop, or down on the floor where it may be more susceptible to dust on the floor being sucked in?

I know that intergrated water cooling loses water over time with usages. But I believe their technology on the H80 with plastic pipes can't contain the water so good. It would be cheaper for me to buy standard fan cooling system. Why does the H80 loses effenciency so fast? I can understand after 1 years of uses but not after just 8 months.

Being a completely sealed system they don't lose water from evaporation like a normal cooling loop. I would suspect that maybe the pump is slowing down or maybe the fans are starting to age and not pushing the same amount of air.

Have you checked the RPM's of the pump in your BIOS.

Aging thermal paste will also exhibit the same symptoms , so may be something you want to check out.

Symptoms as what your describing are very abnormal and this would be the first post that i have seen since they have launched that stated lost efficiency over time, unless the pump or fans have failed or worn.

Your ambient temps will also have a huge impact on temps and so will loads as you know. So it may be a combination of them all.

Archived