Corsair Community

corsair upgrade question

wacft

i currently own corsaire xms twinx 512mb low latency 2226-T1. my fist question is my timings above dont match the timing diagram on corsairs website or my bios, and i got the above numbers off my memory sticks. and my second question is that i have one memory slot still open and would like to upgrade to an additional one gig stick, so which stick would i get and can i even do that. sorry if this wasnt posted in the right section.

my memory is posted above in my first post. and heres the rest of my specs just incase you need them, i guess i should have done this to begin with?

System Specs:

AMD Athlon XP 2800+

ASUS A7N8X DELUXE

Corsair TwinX XMS PC3200LL 512mb

HIS IceQ Radeon 9800pro

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Gamer

Western Digital 7200rpm, 8mb buffer

Plextor Plexwriter 48/40/48

Pioneer Slot Loading 16X

Antec True Power 420W

• Corsair Employee

I would set the timings as listed bellow and if you are having trouble please test the memory with http://www.memtest.org one module at a time!

CPU Freq: 166 MHz

Memory Freq: 100%

Dim Voltage: 2.7 Volts

System performance: User Define

Resulting Frequency: 166MHz

SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 5T

SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

which one gigabyte stick could i add on to my current ram? i have the low latency and corsair doesnt seem to sell single gig stics with low latency so what kind could i put with mine? if you understand what im saying, lol.

• Corsair Employee
You will need to match the part# and revision of what you have now if you want to add more memory or if you can find another use for this module! I would suggest you just get a Twinx1024-3200XL for best performance and compatibility!

TwinX512-3200LL (2xCMX256-3200LL)

I have the same Mobo and RAM.I recently recommended the same setup for a buddy that wanted to get the most bang for the buck on a budget gaming system.

Now I want to run a gig, and I find the same problem as you do, wacft.

I could sell the 2 x 256 and get a decent price, then go for a gig of 3200 LLPT, but since my buddy has the same setup, I can just split the cost of a TWINX 1024 3200LLPT with him. :biggrin: (We still have to check the detailed specs to ensure compatibility.)

The first reason that your plan is not recommended is that the sum of the memory you are running in the first channel should equal what you are running in the second channel, for dual channel mode operation.

Secondly, you may sell the current memory for a good price, as these are high quality chips. Less worries about compatibility between chips of different timings, as well. Your loss would be minimal.

Finally, if you try this route and have problems, you stand little chance of an exchange on used parts, and now your loss at least equals what you would have if you just dumped the memory now for whatever you can get.

Try PCPER.COM , go into the forums, and you will find someone interested in your current memory, in the "Trading" forum.

Best of luck to you, and I will post back about my luck with my current upgrade. :D:

i have now decided to sell my ram "i have a friend who sells on ebay" and then ill buy the memory here: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-145-486&depa=1

if your wondering why i chose to jump to 2gb its because my mobos max ram is 3gb and if i want to upgrade later i can just buy another gig stick instead of selling and upgrading again. i think its a good plan.

• Corsair Employee
I would have to say no, not because you would not be able to do that but because we would not be able to know what will be available in the future! However, as long as you can match what you get (Part# and Revision) in a single module you should not have any problems!

Archived