Corsair Community

SMART Program Fail Count on Force GT 120 - Normal/Expected?

paedansu

Earlier today I was just finishing up a bit of gaming when I noticed an alert from the storage management software in the system tray (it's meant for my RAID array but it also watches/reports on my Force GT 120 as well). Checking for details I found a very vague warning about a SMART alert on my SSD, but the utility wouldn't offer up any additional information. I downloaded CrystalDiskInfo to try to get some more details, but upon reviewing the SMART report I realized that I don't yet know enough about interpreting these results for an SSD.

http://i.imgur.com/WIasZ.jpg

In the research I've done I've learned that the indicated health status may or may not be an accurate gauge. To me the point of greatest concern there is the value I have selected in that image, the Program Fail Count with a raw value apparently indicated I've had one. Comparing these values to the ones in the (possibly now dated) post on Force series testing at http://www.corsair.com/blog/force-series-ssd-life-testing/ I'm worried this may be indicative of an early failure. The results in that post indicate that at 127TB written to the drive being tested there were still no program fails, while I'm seeing one at only 2.23TB written, and to a larger and newer drive.

Unfortunately I never checked any of this data prior to receiving that not-terribly-descriptive error earlier, so I'm not sure if this program fail is even what generated the alert or if it was already there and something else is going on. If anyone sees anything out of the ordinary in this data please let me know!

Last notes: I updated my firmware to 5.03 a few hours ago as part of my continuing efforts to locate/diagnose the potential problem, which I believe reset my drive's Power On Count; I've not managed to somehow log 2037 powered on hours in the last 9 months with only a single reboot. Also, I obscured my drive's serial number just in case there's some sort of RMA fraud potential there; it's not failing to report or anything like that.

I did read through it, but the main takeaway seemed to be that the SMART data and it's interpretation can be inconsistent between manufacturers/models/etc, and I didn't see any posts on this particular value for this particular model.

Ideally what I'm hoping for is someone who has access to the same model of drive, but new and/or never having reported any problems, being able to check the SMART data for the drive and see if the Program Fail (AB and B5), Reallocation Event (C4), and Retired Block (05) counts indicate raw values of 1 in a new drive or if these values truly mean I've already had a block failure while the drive appears to still be at a point that should be relatively early in it's useful life.

Edit: And even if these values are normal I'd still like to figure out what else may have changed that fired off the warning, because for the past month or so that I've been running this build (though the SSD carries over from a previous build that was running under comparable load for 8-9 months before) I wasn't receiving any such warnings.

• Corsair Employees
The Value cannot be trusted in that program or any program as we have not enabled software health monitoring in our firmware is the point of that sticky. So even if you find someone who has that same or even a different count it will mean nothing.

The Value cannot be trusted in that program or any program as we have not enabled software health monitoring in our firmware is the point of that sticky. So even if you find someone who has that same or even a different count it will mean nothing.

If SMART values reported by that program or any other cannot be trusted then you may want to talk to someone about amending/removing the article (linked in my first post) where the program was used in the reliability testing of your SSDs. That article was posted to the Corsair blog about a year ago while the sticky declaring those values to be junk was saying so another year before that, making it rather easy to incorrectly assume that the newer information meant SMART data had gained some relevance.

Anyway, when you say software health monitoring is disabled am I correct in taking that to mean that the drive will not issue any sort of warning via SMART (or any other available means, if there is one) if failure were imminent? And would the SMART warning I saw actually have to be the product of faulty software rather than any data relayed from the drive?

I really just want to know why I saw that SMART alert (and I know it's problematic that the alert itself was vague to begin with and didn't persist; blame whoever wrote Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers/manager). I'd rather not wait for the drive to fail entirely if it does have a problem, but I don't want to go to the trouble of RMA-ing the thing and having to clone my drive over to an old HDD for however long that takes if there isn't actually a problem.

That blog post was not written by Corsair. It was a test that a user on the forums did.

Long time Corsair forum member Rafael Jaimes III, better known to forum readers as "Synbios", recently sent us some documentation of SSD life testing utilizing our Force F40-A SSDs that he's done. He is extremely knowledgeable and helpful to Corsair forum readers. We found the results to be very interesting and we think you might also. Here is his submission in its entirety.

The S.M.A.R.T. values are not accurate on a SSD. This means any kind of warnings that indicate the drive is going to fail may be incorrect.

If you want to replace the drive, feel free to request an RMA.

Archived