Corsair Community

Corsair TX650, buzzing issue

Razershark

Ok, I'll start off saying I've been reading round the webs and this forum about this and so far there are a few reasons as to why its happening but nothing thats really concrete for me. I recently replaced my year old TX650 as it became unstable and starting surging my PC so I sent it back to Corsair for a replacement (all components are still functioning currently to my knowledge, my surge protection made sure of that). I bought the exact same PSU in order to get my computer back up and running as soon as possible, however once I install the new unit and started using my computer again I have started to hear a whinny buzzing noise every so often that I am positive is coming from the new unit, its not very loud most of the time but it varies.

I checked my BIOS set up to see for power saving options as suggested in the sticky post above but that didn't turn up with any sort of setting or fix. I've also checked around the PSU and other components they seem clear of anything that might cause the noise.

The strange thing is I am sure moving my mouse around is also affecting the noise at least changing its pitch and making it distort to some degree or even stopping it when its not too bad. Also, when changing the power saving mode (Around between High Performance, Balanced and Power saving) in windows it fixes the issue for a time atm but it does return after a while

My main question is this noise a concern? As in will the PSU go wrong if its not fixed etc. I should be getting an RMA return with a new unit from Corsair in the coming weeks and would rather not have to send them another one straight after :) Thanks guys for any help or advice you can give.:laughing:

EDIT: I forgot to mention that while in the BIOS the noise isn't there at all

My main question is this noise a concern? As in will the PSU go wrong if its not fixed etc. I should be getting an RMA return with a new unit from Corsair in the coming weeks and would rather not have to send them another one straight after :) Thanks guys for any help or advice you can give.

It's not abnormal to have "coil whine" which sounds as if that is what you are hearing. But if it is too loud for you that you can hear it above the rest of your system you can have it replaced again.

Other than being irritating at times it's not going to hurt or damage any of your components, if that is what your main concern is.

Wait and see how your new unit acts before you get too worried. And if by chance ( i highly doubt it) you would have to RMA a second time ,Corsair will pick up the shipping both ways and usually send you one in advance so you have no down time.

Yes, I tried the BIOS with the power saving options but didn't find any within my BIOS to suggest it had power saving options on, I haven't tried the safemode yet, It really is fairly random when It comes and goes, I've found that normally it does it when the computer is "idle" or not under a lot of strain. It doesn't begin until about 30mins after I have booted and logged into my PC, and thats just leaving it idle for 30 mins not doing anything. Normally when I have a fullscreen application (i.e. A game) running it seems to subside but I don't know, I'll be getting the RMA replacement soon so I'll try that PSU and if it still does it then I guess its something with in my hardware... Or I'm just unlucky with PSUs ;p Thanks.

I'll give that safemode a go to see if it changes anything, and post back to here

• Corsair Employees
Please look in your BIOS for these settings ERP/EUP, C1E and EIST and see what they are set to and try changing them one setting at a time the C1E and EIST may be listed under CPU configuration but could be in the power management Menu along with EUP/ERP settings.

Archived