Corsair Community

SierraService constantly accessing HD

TheLocNar

Every other second... click... click... click... click... Windows Task Manager (view by CPU usage... idle at top) shows SierraService.exe *32 bouncing to 2nd place every other second or two. Even after Ending Process, it comes back and keeps accessing my hard drive constantly. Now I know the Corsair Link 2 software has to monitor temps/pump on my H100i, but really?

Yeah I have 2.2.0 installed. It was even thrashing my SSD with version 2.1.7. I uninstalled, rebooted, and reinstalled 2.2.0, and SierraService is still hitting my HD every second.

In the main System window of CorsairLink, The Intel CPU Load % is refreshing every 1/2 second.

Logging is turned off. Everything else seems to be as it should be.

Ah thats whats this fault is... I thought my ssd was dying...

Whats the fix for this?

For now, I have totally uninstalled CorsairLink 2.2.0. I keep RealTemp open 24/7, and keep an eye on temps especially when playing games. I miss the color changing LED, but that's just a novelty. Having your SSD thrashed by this software constantly will just shorten its life.

For now, I have totally uninstalled CorsairLink 2.2.0. I keep RealTemp open 24/7, and keep an eye on temps especially when playing games. I miss the color changing LED, but that's just a novelty. Having your SSD thrashed by this software constantly will just shorten its life.

Or simply puts the service "Sierra2Service" on manual mode in the task manager -> Services -> Services.

Its what I do, I start it once at launch, for LED color and H80 fan speed and I stop it after.

Pending a fix.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

After some debugging of sierraservice ive found multiple memory leaks in the service which creates about 100 handles or so every thirty seconds. after awhile it will eat up you virtual memory and start writing to disk hence the constant thrashing. once it eats up memory it will crash. proper garbage collection is needed in the service to make it stable. wish i had the source code to fix it.

they need to find out where in memory the variable is being stored and why its not being dumped allot of times within the dotnet framework static variables are to blame for the memory leaks.

Archived