Corsair Community

Are my DIMM's broken?

cornel.les

I have 2 DIM's of CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 on an Asus P7H55-M mother board with an i5-650 CPU.

I ran Memtest86+ v4.20 and at test 7 (Random number sequence) I receive hundreds of millions of errors.

I made the test using "Ai Overclock Tuner" on [Auto(Default) | D.O.C.P. | X.M.P.] same result. I tried with one DIM only and with the other, and I get same results.

Are my both DIM's broken? I've started this tests because after I select Ubuntu from the bootloader randomly my computer freezes.

What else can I try?

Thanks,

any help is really appreciated

When you tested one at a time, were they in the same slot?

I remove on from its slot and made the test, then put it back remove the other one and make the test.

Also, disable usb legacy support in the BIOS when testing with Memtest86+ on an Asus motherboard. It can cause false positives.

I've just remade the test with "usb legacy support" disabled same results, also I've moved both DIM's into the other two slots, same results, at test#7 its failing badly.

If both modules are failing the same test then either there is another hardware issue (mb or CPU)or they are not set correctly.

I do find this odd also and I hope they are not set correctly or something and that's why computer crashes ...

What are the exact settings you have for the memory and CPU?

Could you be more specific about what settings are you interested in?

Could you be more specific about what settings are you interested in?

Most likely RAM speed & timings, Command Rate, DRAM V., & CPU speed. Screenshots of CPUID's utility CPU-Z CPU, Memory, & SPD Tab's can be helpful. A service like Not suggested please just attach the Pics as JPG or PNG.

If both modules are failing the same test then either there is another hardware issue (mb or CPU)or they are not set correctly.

What are the exact settings you have for the memory and CPU?

Thanks HU16E for reply.

I've attached the images with the CPU/Mainboard/Memory/Grapichs, I hope someone could figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

cpu.png.14b4ea4bff5ca379ab680604bf522386.png

graphics.png.289d9369e94a029856253b01689a7f4d.png

mainboard.png.4ae63f4aad5f749c6401fe7807491d43.png

memory.png.091e9f2f86d6577c66d71f6dea7ada31.png

Is this a new build or a new set of modules?

Have you ever updated the BIOS, If not i would make sure you have the latest version and first, then try enabling XMP , but increasing the DIMM voltage to1.55v with a max of 1.6 and see if they will pass memtest then.

They are running at 1333mhz now and should pass memtest easily. If not i really would have to lean toward the mainboard being bad.

No that is correct for that CPU 24 X 133 Mhz = 3200 Mhz FSB.

I would just leave it at AUTO or load setup defaults and see what it sets it to.

I've loaded setup defaults and the error still persists (now the multiplier is controlled by the OS). I'll try updating BIOS (cause my last update is from 03/04/2010) and see if that fixes the problem.

SEtup defaults may not be sufficient. Be sure to check the rated memory voltage printed on the module and set that value manually in the BIOS.

So it seems that my DIM's are not broken but the Memtest86+ v4.20 that come with Ubuntu generate errors. I've created a bootable flash drive with Memtest86+ v4.20 and the DIM's passed all tests.

Thanks to everyone involved in this topic.

Archived